IGNORED

1989 Royale, Should I Buy it?

Guest cabinfever

Guest Brad25ca

After the dealer told you not to buy it, did they happen to ask for your father's phone number so they could swoop in & buy it before you got back to him?

Dealers always think that a prvate sale second hand bike is not worth buying, they want you to buy one from them. I go to an independant shop for MVI etc. & they think I have a sweet ride.

Guest cabinfever

Alright, you guys twisted my arm. I am going to pick it up on Saturday and trailer it home.

cowpuc - thanks for the pre-lube and other information. I didn't think of removing a cam bolt and oiling. I'll definitely follow your suggestions.

I'll let you guys know how the startup goes.

Sorry to let you guys down by snapping it up myself. I know where to go if I ever decide to sell it.

Thanks again to everyone who provided input.

Hey Cabin, What I would do is download the service manual here from the site. It will help you in bleeding brakes, or even replacing brake fluid, flushing the cooling system, changing the differential fluid. Also, only put 3 1/2 qts max of oil into the bike. With the bike on the center stand, the oil level should be between the indicators in the oil window. You might need to lube throttle cables as they will get sticky.

If you have questions, ask them here as you have done already. And if are need help, lets us know, I am on the southside of the metro and could stop by and give you a hand if needed some time.

Good Luck and enjoy the new ride.

Rick F.

Guest cabinfever

cimmer - thanks for the additional information. I did find the service manual. Should be fun spending some time getting it going.

I called the old man and asked him to NOT try and start it so I can take my time and do the "pre-lube" as suggested.

Hopefully we'll meet up someday.

Everyone on the forum has been extremely helpful.

Edited by cabinfever

• 11 months later...

I just purchased a 1989 Venture with 20,000 miles on it...What a great bike!!! The Yamaha dealer in my neck of the woods is the only place that would work on it primarily because they have been arond for years and everybody is older...good luck on finding a realatively new shop to work on it. The only parts he said that were not avail or might be hard to get were body parts. Yamaha is still pretty good on parts for the bike.

My dad has a 1989 Royale that he bought new. It has been sitting in the garage for the last 4-5 years and he has finally decided to sell it. The bike is in good to excellent shape, only 16000 miles, has not been run in 4-5 years. Everything was in working order last he rode it.

I called a couple service departments at local dealers and BOTH tried to shy me away from it. Mainly due to it being older and limited parts availability.

Are parts still generally available? Anything else I should watch out for?

Should I buy it?

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric