IGNORED

Electroplating, How to?

woz111

Hi all.

I've started this thread as I think a lot of people, me included, would like to start Zinc/Chrome plating but I don't have a clue, so does anyone on this site have the know how? If so please let me/us know.

I'd also like information on how to get rust off in a soak bath/tank?

Hi Juggler.

I know what you mean, but you can buy home kits.

Chrome plating:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrome-plating-kit-w-DVD-and-Book-Electroplating_W0QQitemZ270251505133QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2228QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zinc plating:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zinc-plating-Electroplating-car-and-bike-plating-kit_W0QQitemZ260259923783QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260259923783&_trksid=p3911.m14.l1318

I think these kits are expensive for what they are, I reckon you can build your own home kit for a lot less if you have the know how?

I have some information on home plating squirreled away somewhere - I don't really remember details, but I didn't think it was all that difficult OR expensive. I plan on trying it sometime later this year. I'll let you know more if I ever do.

Goose

I have a little kit that will gold plate gun triggers and hammers. Works with a 1.5 volt battery I believe. Not sure it's real gold but it sure is pretty.

Haven't used it for several years and not sure I could find it right now. By the way this was done with a small wire brush and it was brushed on as I recall.

Look around in the gun books.

Jerry

Hi Boo, that's different to plating, as someone will explain hopefully in a bit. I also used to have an old book on how to electro plate, it involved using a 6 volt battery and a chemical solution.