IGNORED

Precision Plastic Windshield Stress Cracks?

I've had this shield on my bike for about a year and a half... it has VERY few miles on it, mostly just lightly covered in the garage but after I uncovered it this spring, I see stress cracks all across the viewing area.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/pp-windshield.jpg

Anybody else have this problem?

This is a Lexan piece that ships FLAT and you BEND it into shape... it's much wider and taller

I REALLY like it... but oh, those lines...!!!

The manufacturer thinks it may just a bad "batch" that the piece was made from...

Did you heat it up at all with a hair dryer (or something like one) to bend / shape it as you installed it???

If you just bent it in place, and then tightened the mounting screws then you are asking for stress cracks.

If you replace it, I would warm it up with screws ready in hand to install it.

heat it up, install a couple screws but do not tighten them down, just 'start" the screws.

heat it up again and slowly tighten the screws..this may take several times..

once all screws are tightened, then heat it up again."real good"...

then let it set before going for a ride till it cools off completely.

you should never have stress cracks again if you heated it properly as yo uinstalled it.

The manufacturer thinks it may just a bad "batch" that the piece was made from...

I'd just go ahead and send it back to the manufacture and let them deal with it if they think it came from a bad batch.... Certainly looks like surface stress cracks. Maybe it was the coating they used that didn't have enough stretch to withstand the flexing??? I never did like those windshields that didn't have the shape already in them.

I've had this shield on my bike for about a year and a half... it has VERY few miles on it, mostly just lightly covered in the garage but after I uncovered it this spring, I see stress cracks all across the viewing area.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/pp-windshield.jpg

Anybody else have this problem?

This is a Lexan piece that ships FLAT and you BEND it into shape... it's much wider and taller

I REALLY like it... but oh, those lines...!!!

Other then the cracks does it create a nice air pocket around you? I was looking at one of these things.

Yes, the "air pocket" is MUCH better than the stock that I took off. It is QUITE nice, I thought I would "try it" and could go back to stock if needed. I never thought about going back. It also throws the air higher so the passenger really gets relief as well. That's really only why I would consider another. The lower section actually obstructs the absolute inside edge of the mirrors... it's THAT wide.