IGNORED

Round trip Fuel mileage questions

I just made a 1286 mile round trip from Omaha to Sturgis and back.  We ran 2 up with gear, but no more than would fit in the bags.  We only were gone for 3 days.

My overall mileage was 31.967.  I did calculate mileage between fuel stops.  When we were running on the scenic roads at 35-45 mph, I seemed to get around 36 mpg.  When we were running interstate at 70-75 I was getting 27-28.

Does this seem normal to you guys?  I've been slowly leaning out the carbs since I bought it.  It was so rich that I could smell raw fuel while I was riding and it was really bad at a stop sign.

All cylinders are firing.  Carbs are synced.  Tire pressure has been checked.  

I'm thinking of doing a Dyno tune.  I don't have a gas analyzer.

Needles Highway (13).jpg

Edited by GaStar
forgot pic

Been a long time, but seems about right to what I would get. I may have got low 30s on the high speed stuff, but I am a cruise control guy. So of that would probably depend on how much weight you had packed up too.

On 8/15/2023 at 3:09 PM, GaStar said:

I just made a 1286 mile round trip from Omaha to Sturgis and back.  We ran 2 up with gear, but no more than would fit in the bags.  We only were gone for 3 days.

My overall mileage was 31.967.  I did calculate mileage between fuel stops.  When we were running on the scenic roads at 35-45 mph, I seemed to get around 36 mpg.  When we were running interstate at 70-75 I was getting 27-28.

Does this seem normal to you guys?  I've been slowly leaning out the carbs since I bought it.  It was so rich that I could smell raw fuel while I was riding and it was really bad at a stop sign.

All cylinders are firing.  Carbs are synced.  Tire pressure has been checked.  

On 8/15/2023 at 3:09 PM, GaStar said:

Here is my take on Fuel economy

Fuel Economy discussion along with timing advance chart.

15 hours ago, djh3 said:

Been a long time, but seems about right to what I would get. I may have got low 30s on the high speed stuff, but I am a cruise control guy. So of that would probably depend on how much weight you had packed up too.

Honestly we didn't have much packed.  A few tools, a days worth of clothes and 1 half shell helmet.

3 hours ago, Du-Rron said:

Very informative.  Thank you!  So it sounds like I'm in line to what I should expect.  Perfect.  I can still tweek some here and there, maybe do the vacuum line mod, jasons mod, and see what that does.  I can always go back stock.  They said the K&N filters were just serviced and oiled before I got the bike.  I should check them out because they also said they did a fresh oil change as well and it was overfilled above the site glass!