IGNORED

If it ain't one thing, it's another

Alright, so I finally got the front cylinder head off, heli-coiled, and back on (Thanks to Freebird and Rick Butler for putting up with my phone calls. :)) Got it all buttoned back up on Saturday, and got it out on the road. Everything seemed great.. until I stopped at the store and heard something bubbling from the right fairing.... I was boiling coolant in the resivoir. the bottle looked full and was visibly wiggling from the boiling. went into the store and came back out to find that the bottle was empty but still pretty darn hot. couldn't see anywhere that it boiled a hole in the bottle, but the cap was cracked. Couldn't see where it had leaked out onto the ground either, but it had just rained and the concrete was soaked already. while riding the temp gauge didn't move. Just stayed buried at the bottom, which I remember thinking was odd since after that short distance it should at least have moved up some.. So now I need some advice from ya'll... If this was a car I'd start looking at the thermostat.. since I drained the radiator and re-filled it, I'm wondering if I washed something into it and stuck the stupid thing.. or maybe I didn't put enough coolant into it?? How much should be in an '86 VR? And does anyone have a coolant bottle and cap that I can buy from them? Thanks in advance!

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, Yes, you CAN remove the front cylinder head without removing the engine... but for the pain in the butt that it is, I'm wondering if it woulda been easier to pull the engine.

My first questions would be did you set the coolant selector back to the proper position when you refilled the radiator? When you filled the coolant did you start and run the engine for a bit and refill again a couple of times? Did you check the coolant reserve bottle to make sure it was at the proper level after refilling?

It sounds to me that you may not of had enough coolant to start with as you stated the temp gauge was buried at the bottom. It will only show a reading if the coolant reaches the sensor. If it don't you get nothing. If the system is low it will suck coolant out of the bottle to keep the radiator full. So it sounds like the radiator was low and it overheated and sucked the reserve dry.

Now I'm not sure on this one but if the selecter valve was set to the wrong position it may have forced the hot coolant to the reserve without it getting circulated.

And a reminder to never pour coolant into a hot radiator without the engine running. Let it cool down before adding.

The coolant selector valve is the drain valve under the radiator......theres a lock screw on the side...loosen it, rotate valve to "ON" for draining and filling, "OFF" for normal operation, tighten screw. You still drain via the plug under water pump.....this just ensures a complete drain/refill. Set valve, refill rad....then reset valve.

Your boiling problem may be that the wires for thermo-unit (temp gauge sender) and the thermoswitch (fan temp. switch) aren't hooked up from working around them pulling/reinstalling head.. Remove right side grill from rad....the wire with round connector is for temp gauge...the connector for the fan has two wires pointing down.

I'm guessing you initally filled the radiator and never checked it again after the engine warmed up to see if it needed more coolant...(Thats my 2 cents worth)

bingo on that one, man. got too excited about the bike running again to think to check the manual for refilling the radiator.

The coolant selector valve is the drain valve under the radiator......theres a lock screw on the side...loosen it, rotate valve to "ON" for draining and filling, "OFF" for normal operation, tighten screw. You still drain via the plug under water pump.....this just ensures a complete drain/refill. Set valve, refill rad....then reset valve.

Your boiling problem may be that the wires for thermo-unit (temp gauge sender) and the thermoswitch (fan temp. switch) aren't hooked up from working around them pulling/reinstalling head.. Remove right side grill from rad....the wire with round connector is for temp gauge...the connector for the fan has two wires pointing down.

And this is what happens to the guage. Been there done that just tighten the wire ends with pair pliers.

And this is what happens to the guage. Been there done that just tighten the wire ends with pair pliers.

hehe, yup! went digging and lo and behold! there's that plug just hangin' loose. pinched it up a little and it's good to go! thank you all for your advice! now to figure out this e-4 problem on the compressor... hehe.

Thanks for the link Snaggletooth! but now it looks like I"m all good to go! after several phone calls to Squidley (thanks again, man!) and all day sunday, it's all buttoned up and running strong! Spent a while burping the air out of the radiator, and now i'm back on the road! after a year and a half without it, it's almost like I've gotten a part of myself back... it just feels right, now. hopefully will be able to meet up with some some of ya'll soon for some riding.

Thank you all for your help! I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

Thanks for the link Snaggletooth! but now it looks like I"m all good to go! after several phone calls to Squidley (thanks again, man!) and all day sunday, it's all buttoned up and running strong! Spent a while burping the air out of the radiator, and now i'm back on the road! after a year and a half without it, it's almost like I've gotten a part of myself back... it just feels right, now. hopefully will be able to meet up with some some of ya'll soon for some riding.

Thank you all for your help! I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

OK then.........head to Hannibul. Meeting Bill there Saturday at Noon and I think Hippy and Nance are going too.