IGNORED

Flooding Carb.

bikerkwatt

:confused24::confused24:I do not think I have this posting figured out yet. Computer illiterate I am told.

Just bought a 05 RSV been riding it about two weeks seemed a little sluggish compared to 04 Silverado.Getting ready to go to Colorado on the 13th.

Well lets get to the point.

started bike yesterday and has no power front left bank is flooding and has no power

Carried to shop in Abilene 5 weeks waiting list.They told me to drain carbs and tap on bowls.I have done this and changed spark plugs.Is running a little better still sluggish at slow speeds and flooding clears in higher gears until you slow down again.Setting on kickstand idels rough stand up straight idel gets better.

Acts like cylinder loading up with fuel at low speed and clears as speed increases.

Any help appreciated hate to ride Silvarado To Colorado next week.

Thanks Bikerkwatt (B.A.C.A.Rolling Plains)

Sea Foam, put it in at least 1/2 can to the tank.

I have actually put a whole can in a tank.

I would run a couple of tanks through with the Sea Foam in it if you can. Mine was so bad I couldn't even ride it, it had a stream of gas running out of it but if yours is not that bad you might get by with the Sea Foam.

If that doesn't help I'm afraid you are going to have to take the carbs off and clean them. Probably got something or some varnish in the needle valve.

Hopefully you are a little bit of a wrench. There is a very good article in the tech section of the Second Gen tech section on how to do this. Print out the article and follow it step by step and you should have no problem.

Jerry

May not be necessary to take the carbs off. Get a bottle of Yamaha Carb Cleaner from your Yamaha dealer. Don't worry about directions on the bottle. Load the carbs up with pure cleaner and let sit for 24 hours. Drain the cleaner from the carbs, put a can of Sea Foam (should be available at your local Home Deport in the garden section) in your fuel tank and run the crap out of your scoot.

That should take care of any varnish fouling in the carbs and free up the floats.

http://www.postsmile.com/img/summer/95.gif

Owl,

You talking about loading the carbs up with the cleaner through the air intake?

Or maybe taking the fuel line off and letting the carbs suck the stuff right out of the can? Or is that a spray can.

Not trying to be a smart ass Russ, just trying to clear up the instructions for the guy.

Hear anything from Ohio?

Jerry

The Yamaha Carb Cleaner is good stuff. Really cuts the varnish out like nuttin' else. Pouring it in the carbs through the air box won't do it. It needs to get to the fuel bowls. I drained my tank and poured enough into it and cranked her over and opened the drain lines until they cleared the old gas and let her sit for a day. Then drained the tank and bowls and ran 1/2 a can Sea Foam with a couple of gallons of fresh gas. It got her cleaned up enough to run decent.

I run a 1/4 can of SF once a month just to keep things fresh.

Oh, and take a look at your local Wall Mart. They started selling Sea Foam and Deep Creep a while back for less than $6.00 a can. I stocked up. NAPA was getting over $8.00 last time I bought it there.

Owl,

You talking about loading the carbs up with the cleaner through the air intake?

Or maybe taking the fuel line off and letting the carbs suck the stuff right out of the can? Or is that a spray can.

Not trying to be a smart ass Russ, just trying to clear up the instructions for the guy.

Hear anything from Ohio?

Jerry

Jerry,

You can inject the cleaner through the fuel line. I use a small hypodermic syringe to force it into the carbs. Then when the bowls are full, hit the starter to turn it over a couple of times to pull the cleaner into the ports.

Let it sit at least 24 hours. Then drain the bowls and reattach the fuel lines.

It's really a very easy process. Then, as indicated, throw (or pour) a can of seafoam into the tank and let her run.

Thanks fellas, its running better today,took carb assembly out and cleaned. 1st gear is still alittle sluggish but not near like it was,left exhaust not rolling blue smoke like it was.

Sea fome still doing some cleaning on jugs.Temp.at exhaust tips running about the same left side was cooler at the beginning.

Bikerkwatt