IGNORED

Fuel Gage Repair 84 Venture

My fuel gage went from working part time to not working at all. So over the weekend I done a last minute repair before vacation next week.The fuel float assembly is attached to a mechanical wiper arm that brushes across a wire wound resistor in the control unit. As the float bowel moves with a change in fuel tank level the resistance varies from 0 ohms Full to 330 ohms empty.

1. Place bike on center stand,remove seat,unplug the sender connector and clean around the 4 bolts holding fuel float and sender unit in tank.

2. Make sure there is less then a full tank of fuel before removing the bolts and lifting unit off of the seal.

3. Maneuver the assembly around as needed to lift the sender unit,and float rod assembly out of the tank.This can be done without removing the gas tank

4. Take the unit to a clean working area and dry off before working on the sender.

5. Take a small screwdriver flat blade and gently pry off the sender cover side housing. Be careful not to break the 3 metal tabs securing the cover.

6. Now remove all rust particles and loose debris trapped in the sender unit. Spray clean the mechanical wiper arm with an electrical contact cleaner. Using an ohm meter you can measure the resistance at the output terminals. Raising the float 0 ohms and dropping to empty open circuit.The wire wound resister varies from 0 to 330 ohms.

7. In my situation the wiper arm had to be gently bent to add tension so a better contact could be made. I even found the resister bowed in the middle and had to bend it back in to position.

8. When your satisfied with your repairs you can re attach the side cover and plug the sender back into the wiring harness,turn on the key and test your gage before re installing in the tank.Vary the float level and watch your gage indication change. Make sure your float is good before re installing.

P/S For your comfort there is a small voltage/current flowing through the wiper arm from the fuel gage. So if your gage arc's while setting on 4 gallon you won't feel a thing. A new meaning to the term After Burners.

Edited by FROG MAN