IGNORED

Combination fork dampner / top cap tool

SAP71

when I did the forks on my XS650 I  welded a bolt into some steel tubing and bent a handle on the other end for a dampner tool. I didn't have acess to a welder yesterday so I tried this and it worked great. Taped it to the socket so I could pull it back out of the tubes. The bigger nut locked between the two smaller ones is a 5/8 (fits 15/16) socket. The other two nuts and bolt are 10mm (fits 17mm). I didn't have enough extensions to reach the dampner with the forks extended so I used bungee cords on the caliper mount holes to keep them compressed and zip tied the ratchet to the top tree to hold it in place the used a regular 10mm allen wrench and the hole in the handle of a cresent wrench as a cheater to break the dampner bolts loose.

20210309_050153.jpg

I just ran a nut the right size to fit the the hex hole in the cap nut ran it on to a bolt tight up against the head of the bolt. then cut the protruding end of the bolt off leaving a 1/16th" of the bolt sticking out past the nut. Finally I pounded that protruding bit flat with a hammer (a ball peen hammer works best if you have one) so the nut could not back off, then simple used it with a socket wrench to remove the cap nut.