IGNORED

carbs are boiled

Guest Obsidian16825

Guest Obsidian16825

Here we are, back in the same town as my uncle's '83 Venture, so working on it is how we're spending our three-day weekend. We pulled the carbs off. The slides were gummed up. We got them unstuck and pulled out, then boiled the carbs on the grill. We drained the old gas out of the tank and rinsed it some with fresh, and drained the old oil. After the carbs boiled, we put them back together and almost finished re-installing them on the bike. We're hoping that's all the carbs need. We're trying to avoid rebuilding them. We did see pin holes in the slide diaphrams, and are hoping they're not as expensive as Honda slides and diaphrams to replace.

We got the oil drained, but haven't put fresh oil in yet. We still have several more things to do on our "short" list.

I get to have my little bike with me this weekend, so I'm getting a bit of saddle time. Dh rode it here while I followed with our kidlet. It's four miles between my dad's house and my uncles, but riding's riding.

I've got to get another pair of boots. I didn't take my sneakers to change into when I got to my uncle's earlier. My riding boots aren't good for working in. The sole on the left one is separated now. I had to tape it on to get back to my dad's house. Looks like Wal-Mart's going to get a visit from us. I'll either go ahead and epoxy the sole back on, or leave it to take to a cobbler and get some more height added. I might be able to ride one of our larger bikes more with thicker soles.

Edited by Obsidian16825

Guest Obsidian16825

We've never boiled carbs before, but some of the guys on the nakedgoldwing forum recommend it. Doing so seemed to clean out the gas varnish. The outside of the carbs is still grubby. It was 10:00 last night when we quit trying to wrestle the carbs back in their boots. We'd already fought getting the throttle cable back in its slot, and were worn out.

Wal-Mart doesn't sell decent boots for women! I thought I could just grab another pair of boots to ride around in, but the only work "boots" they have in women's sizes looks like a reinforced pair of sneakers. Do women not need our feet and ankles protected any more? We got some epoxy and glued my boot's sole back on.

Guest Obsidian16825

5:00 PM, taking a break. dh is sound asleep on the couch.

we got the carbs in place. we'd forgotten to put the little plugs that go near the bottom of the carbs back in last night, so they took more than a few minutes to get in. we know the little dark places that tiny stuff can take refuge in now. fast learner I am, I stuffed paper towels in the dark hiding places after the little carb plugs showed me where they are. the carbs went back into their boots much easier in the light of day.

we haven't quite gotten the engine running fully yet, but it cranks, and runs a few moments. once we get it to can get it keep running, well flush the radiator, lube the rear end and make sure it's got good gear oil. still need to check the brakes. progress has been made.

dh is awake now, back to work

If you're hitting Wally World for boots see if they have anything in your size in the Hermans Survivor series. The name on the boot is the "Keith" Go figure. It's a SWAT style boot, non metalic toes, inside zipper, textile inserts and soles that seem to stick to about anything.

I started wearing these boots last sumer and they have been impressive. The have a wicking liner, they are water proof, and that zipper make slip on slip off a breeze.

I spend 12 to 14 hours a day on my feet in these boots and they are comfortable all day long. I ride in them and they have NEVER slipped out from under me on any surface wet or dry.

They were about $76.00 when I picked up my first pair. The price dropped last winter to $48.00 so I picked up two more pairs. I'm still waiting for the first pair to wear out. I'm hard on work boots and these have out lived all the others for the money.

And good luck on your carbs. I'm waiting for parts to rebuild the ones off my '84.

Mike

If you're hitting Wally World for boots see if they have anything in your size in the Hermans Survivor series. The name on the boot is the "Keith" Go figure. It's a SWAT style boot, non metalic toes, inside zipper, textile inserts and soles that seem to stick to about anything. Mike

I found a pair in my size... no easy task... on Ebay last year before Ft. Collins. Love 'm, and can vouch for their comfort.... Think I paid about $65 bucks.