IGNORED

Water pump replacement

Terrymiller1973

Ok so called around to many of the local shops about rebuilding or replacing the water pump on my 1984 Venture Royal. No place wants to work on it due to the bikes age so I guess I am doing it myself. I found the place below that seems to have the rebuild parts but not a complete water pump. Does anybody have a link to a place that sells the complete water pump or am I stuck with the rebuild option only.

yamahapartshouse (sorry cannot post a link yet)

Ok so called around to many of the local shops about rebuilding or replacing the water pump on my 1984 Venture Royal. No place wants to work on it due to the bikes age so I guess I am doing it myself. I found the place below that seems to have the rebuild parts but not a complete water pump. Does anybody have a link to a place that sells the complete water pump or am I stuck with the rebuild option only.

yamahapartshouse (sorry cannot post a link yet)

No one sells a complete new water pump. Indeed, Yamaha has never offered a complete assembled water pump. Just get the needed oil seal and mechanical coolant seal and the impeller (shaft and impeller are one integrated on one assembly).

The place that I use for OEM parts is Partzilla, https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1984/xvz12dl/water-pump

Just did mine wasn't too bad.There is a vid on utube that is a pretty good guide. I wound up replacing , the mech seal, the oil seal, the metal bearing, two cir clips and the two orings for the elbow. You need the gasket also. I used a little makeshift press. as shown in the video , to press the bearing in. Also I had to buy Yamalube #4 to seal the mech seal. I used electical tape and oil to make sure the threads on the bolt did not scratch the oil seal.....Important not to bugger up seal. good luck. If you don't have the shop manual and parts list, do download them. Very helpful info in them.