IGNORED

Smart Charger Not So Smart

FROG MAN

I picked up a new battery for the 84 this evening on the way home from work. I filled the cells with the supplied acid to the top level mark and started a 2 amp charge with my Black & Decker Smart Charger I bought 3 years ago. After about 1 hour the charger full charge lamp came on. I said no way this should take 12-16 hours so I reset the charger and tried again. After 5 minutes the charger kicked out and showed full again. This time I replaced it with my heavy duty Napa charger and set it for 2 amps automatic. So far its still charging and some time tomorrow I should get a fully charged indication. I noticed over the winter months that Smart Charger would kick out and show a fault indication on a low battery in my scoots. I guess it's cooked.

Frog Man, I could be wrong but I don't think you're supposed to trickle (2Amp) charge a new battery.. Is the smart charger like a battery tender? If so that might be your problem.. Tenders are just that.. not chargers.. Don't throw it out yet.. It might work once your new battery gets fully charged.

I have the Craftsman version of the Battery Tender and it workd great.

When preparing a dry battery, fill battery let set for 15 mins and check acid level bring it to level on battery. Let cells absorb acid for aleast an hour before charging. Your charger may have read the surface charge and acted accordingly. Your other charger could possibly have cooked the battery. Load test the battery and read voltage.