IGNORED

Opinion on Por-15 tank cleaning system

cami

Lots of junk in my 99RSV gas tank. Changed out fuel lines, pump and filter but pilot jets continue to plug up after using Sea Foam to clean them. IMO the only place left for a contamination source is the tank. I pressure washed tank and got a lot of junk out but it obviously needs a better cleaning system. Living in Mexico I need to import chemicals from the states and that is why I am asking for help and opinions so I can do it correctly.

Thanks

Mike

I have never used POR-15.

I have had great success cleaning 30 year old gas tanks with white vinegar. Fill the tank 1/2-2/3 with vinegar and let it soak over night. Flip it over and soak overnight again. Rinse immediately with gasoline as it will flash rust if you use water.

My old bike had lots of rust and junk in the tank which I managed to clean out. The next step was to protect the inside surface of the tank. I used some stuff called Red-Kote which puts a protective surface on the inside of the tank. Ebay has a good selection. As I recall, I diluted it with MEK to help it flow onto all of the tank surfaces since it is pretty thick if you try to apply it directly from the can.

zag