IGNORED

Had a scary tech moment! Maybe you'll have a laugh!

jakemiller93

Hey, peeps! I almost flipped out today. I've been restoring my 97 tour classic over the years. It was a victim of a fire and neglect afterwards. I have put a lot of time into this bike and did a complete engine rebuild, new seats, custom paint, the works. And today it started pouring coolant from the side of the head. Naturally, I pulled the cooling fin off, seeing that it was coming from behind it. Coolant was QUICKLY pouring out of the weep hole. I had no idea this was a drain hole for the spark plug cavity. Mike Eykamp and Patrick OCarroll consulted me through it and we found that my spring pin that holds the water jacket is GONE. I blew some air into the drain hole to clear it and boom. The water jacket backed out completely and it poured coolant all over.

I'm so grateful it's an easy fix! I was terrified that I had blown a gasket or something horrible just after I got this bike back to running right. It seemed like it was a huge deal. Nope, just a little pin! New pin is ordered and I'll be set. So if you needed a laugh today, I offer up my worry and learning experience for your enjoyment. If you know Mike and Patrick, make sure to tell them they're awesome!