IGNORED

Light Bar installation

Guest Saint Michael

Guest Saint Michael

I am having trouble wiring my light bar on 2007 V-star 1300. Does this bike have a per wired plug for this purpose? :think

I am having trouble wiring my light bar on 2007 V-star 1300.

Does this bike have a per wired plug for this purpose?

Not that I know of... you have to splice into the "correct" wires..use a 12 volt meter or a 12 volt wire tester with a bulb, and check for which wire your after..you can remove your head light bulb socket and see what color wire goes to the head light (bright & Dim lights)and find which color one you want to hook up to.

Note: I use a sewing needle and poke the needle into the wire insulation, then put the tester probe on the needle..this way, I dont leave a big hole in the insulation and when I remove the needle, the hole plugs back up by itself..no need to tape it.

Edited by Eck

Guest Saint Michael

Thanks ECK. The way it is wired now, it can be switched on without the key being turned on. I don't like this as an 50+ year old man I know I'll forget to switch it off sometime.

flb_78 is right, that is the way mines are connected to.

The passing lamps are on ony if the low beam is on, that is all the times I start the bike, and if I switch to high beam it goes down.

There are some people that put the passing lamps independent of the head lights, so when you choose to use the high beam you are able to blind every one that is coming on your oposite direction. If you want that configuration, just send a wire from the fuse box (Auxiliar or any 20 amps fuse) to the headlight case to make the connection.

Regards,

Guest Saint Michael

Thanks calperin and fib. I am a novice at this, and need a diagram. just sent away for the cd-rom service manual. Sounds like I have to tap into the headlight circuit somewhere to accomplish that comfig.

Guest cwil2988
Thanks calperin and fib. I am a novice at this, and need a diagram. just sent away for the cd-rom service manual. Sounds like I have to tap into the headlight circuit somewhere to accomplish that comfig.

You have to tap into the headlight circuit, depending on how you want the lights configured, wish

I still had the directions from putting mine on. seems like big blue wire will run them whenever the ignition is on, and you can turn them on and off by the switch on the dash BTW, were the turn signals fun to try to mount to the new light bar? when I put mine on, there was nothing listed about pulling the rubber out of the turn signals to make them fit the new mount, and I didn't want to start ripping apart a week old bike experimenting.

:rain2:

Guest cwil2988

jusr realized you were talking about the 1300 vstar, brain fart on my end. I have a TD, totally different I am sure, however, a friend of mine is getting ready to light bar his 1300 vstar, and if I notice anything, I'll post it, if it is not too late

Guest tx2sturgis

Tell us if your installing a passing lite bar on the front, or a LED brake light bar on the back...it would help us narrow this down!

:happy34:

Guest Saint Michael

Thanks Craig, I have Show Chrome light bar and had to rewire the turn signal lights because they weren't long enough. Feed back from your friends experience would be great!!!

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...you should wire that set of lights thru a relay, a standard 30 amp automotive lighting relay will work fine. You can buy these at any auto parts store, or, a 4x4 off-road dealer will most likely have the kits, although you will need to shorten the wires quite a bit.

I found a good write-up on the 'other' Venture website:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002007&id=247

I have mine wired on low-beam only.

Hope this helps.