IGNORED

where to start

Guest Obsidian16825

Guest Obsidian16825

I'm gathering information to help my uncle get his '83 1200 Venture Royale running. He bought it sight-unseen. It has 65,000 miles on it, and he doesn't know when it ran last.

I know very little about Yammy's, only what I've been able to find in the forums so far.

His service manual is on it's way. We'll learn much more then. My husband will be helping as well. The trick in helping to work on it is that we live three hours apart. We've got three days over Mem Day weekend. Can we get enough done for it to run in three days? We'll find out.

We'll drain the carb bowls. We know not to use carb cleaner. We'll drain the fuel tank and clean it, and check to make sure the petcock isn't leaking. We'll run Seafoam through with the first tank of fresh gas.

Do we need to plan to replace all the fuel lines? Do they degrade on the interior of the lines like old Wings do?

We'll replace the fuel filter, wherever that is.

We'll drain the coolant and replace it with fresh red coolant mixture. Should we pull the radiator? Should we replace the hoses and thermostat then?

Does the engine use a timing chain? It'd be nice not to worry about timing belts.

We'll change the oil and filter.

We'll put the bike on the center stand and turn the rear wheel to see if the engine turns. Hope it does, don't know what to do if it doesn't.

We'll likely pull the rear wheel to grease the spline. The one on our Wing was dry, so I'm assuming the Venture's will probably be dry too. We'll make sure the rear end has enough diff oil in it. The beast IS shaft-driven, isn't it?

What do we do if second gear isn't working any more? Can I whine if we have to mess with the transmission? Do we add transmission fluid? How do we check that? I hope that's in the manual. Bound to be.

We'll check the brakes and fluid.

We'll replace the battery.

He said the tires don't look dry rotted. We'll check them again really well.

I think the shocks are air adjustable. I don't really know what that means, not having that sort of shocks on any of our bikes. We'll need to find out if they can be re-pumped-up and how to do that. They kind of bottom out when he sits in the saddle.

Is the fuel tank under the seat? It looked like it when I saw the bike. How's the center of gravity? I worry about the weight of the bike for him. That sucker's HEAVY. It's a good hundred pounds heavier than my Wing, and the Wing's flat out cumbersome.

He just want's to get running enough for him to ride it, then think about cosmetic stuff later. Did I miss any initial must-do's?

Is this the right forum? I don't know the generations. I thought maybe it's a second gen because it's not the inline four engine.

Edited by Obsidian16825

jennifer.

if you go to the "first gen tech " section, you can download a "tech manual", for your uncle's FIRST GEN.

it is in "pdf" format, but it does show where everything you are concerned about, is located!

one thing i must warn against.

do NOT, under any circumstances, ride this bike , after you get it running!!!!!!

they will spoil you so bad, you'll "throw rocks"at your hondas!

:stirthepot::stirthepot:

just jt

Sounds like you have a good start. Get engine running and go from there. No timing belts it is chain. Fuel filter is on top of swing arm on left side I think. Hard to get at usually change when changing tire is good idea. Shaft will need lubed. Time to change filter then. Tank is under seat. They handle GREAT once you get above parking lot speeds.If 2nd don't work just shift from 1st to 3rd. Not a big deal and plenty of help here if you decide to fix 2nd. Fuel lines should be OK. Brake could be interesting. Break them down and clean if they are stuck. The air ride is adjusted on the bike if it is working or may have valve to add air on left side under leg for rear and top of forks for front No more than 17 lb. in front and about 40 in rear to start. Don't overinflate front. Ask questions as you go. We are here a LOT. Great old bikes.

If it has not been turned over in a long time (turning the rear tire will not allow you to turn the motor over), remove the spark plugs (thin wall 18mm socket) drop alittle bit of oil into the cylinders. Remove the 5" round chrome cover off of the left side and the little steel plate behind that. Take a 32mm socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar and turn the crank CCW. If the rings are stuck this will help break them loose and then make it easier for the starter to turn it over. This will also be easier on all the rotating parts in there (bearings, races, plastic gears, water pump, oil pump) to resume their normal operation. Just think about yourself sleeping in bed for a long time, and how it is to get moving again!!! Then before installing the plugs and turning on the gas, use the starter to turn the bike over (after changing the oil!) and get the oil flowing back through all the passageways. This will help insure that you don't spin a crank bearing or something like that.

Good luck!

Dan

BTW, whats the VIN # on his bike? We found the 1st one offf the line, like to see where his falls in! 0101 is the first.

Guest Obsidian16825

Thanks for the information. I'll print it out to take with me. I'll find out the vin for you.

They do seem like really good bikes. Even someone on the Kaw forum told me that the Venture is the best touring bike ever made.

I'm not going to try to ride it. I doubt my toes would reach the ground. I love motorcycles, regardless of name. That's why I'm willing to help, but my little baby Vulcan fits me perfectly.