IGNORED

Air Joint Circlip help

Guest Bigin

How in the h*&% does this thing go on? Of course the manual and pics are useless for this. Does the circlip go on first in the groove then the joint goes on after. Does the circlip ride between the o-rings in the joint? How can that be without damaging the orings with the circlip unless the the circlip stays at the bottom of the joint, keeping it from moving down, but it seemed to be in the center when I removed it, and the wear on it appears to indicate it rides in the center groove where the air hole is.

Simple little thing kept me from being backtogether an hour ago. Anybody knowledgable here at the moment?

I tried to post a picture, but I'm not that good at this fancy stuff, give me a wrench or hammer and I can do a lot more damage.

Yes, the ciriclip goes on the fork, then the joint, then the damper (cut side up) and then the upper tree. The ciriclip prevents the joint from sliding down and the upper tree keeps it from sliding up, so it stays in place. The o-rings are the babies that keep the air in. You should be using new o-rings so that you don't have any future problems. Be sure to lubricate with a little oil before you slide it all together but then clean the oil from the fork end that fits into the upper tree.

If you need more info, I'll post at 5 am tomorrow. Don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure.

Carl

Thank you, just needed to know if the circlip fit inside the air joint between the orings or not. It seems very small to just hold the joint from slipping down, but I guess if it was any larger may hinder sliding tubes through the lower clamp for removal. Thank you very much for your help.

but I guess if it was any larger may hinder sliding tubes through the lower clamp for removal. Thank you very much for your help.

Normally, the circlips are slid up the tube to remove them (after the air fittings). As the tube is slid down, to remove it.