IGNORED

Comments on Gen3 oil and maintenance

Hi guys, I've not ventured into this forum often although I am quite curious about your comments and shared experiences with this gen3!

For disclosure purpose I have not ridden a gen3 nor have I read any manuals on her.

I would also like to acknowledge that I enjoyed American's first report he wrote here last year. At the time I thought he was going to be a strength to this new gen3 forum he certainly in my opinion wrote well in, shall we say the article describing his proud ownership and riding experience.

Well we know how that ended, all fine up and until forum opinions unfolded. If there has been recant disrespect showing through my last posts around his postings, it is in fact true I have lost respect reading other postings of his.

May of last year he was involved here in a thread that I found myself at odds with and only after Du-Rron pointed me to it a couples days back. I would say in general terms that maintenance procedures should be respected and followed through with, and in their entirety. Especially with a brand new production bike, and that applies to fluids as well, just my opinion. Remember 50K over long hauls is completely different over short hauls. Time of production may also show different inspection results.

The thing about the valve clearance and it comparison to the HD 113 Puc was quick to point out and likely could have spoken in detail on...

Speaking again in general terms, this type of rocker assembly has been around for a very long time and, is a proven long life performer. What may set it apart will likely be found in the engineering tweaks to it and, choices in composition (s) batching can also play a role and is one more reason why we should follow all the required inspections and note them down.

Anyways there was a comment about using Redline oil. Well we all know how these discussions end up so, I only offer this info for your information As far as I know Redline is not designed for street? I just did a couples of hours of research looking for some independent testing and found little to none. It appears that it is still a race blend which to me suggests frequent intervals. One of us may have more recent info on it, I for one would be interested to read such if shared. The link below brings you to an Aussie distributor, note this comment

"Synthetic Engine Oil for Racing Cars

While racing motor oils provide more wear and tear protection than motor oils for passenger vehicles, these products contain fewer detergents and are not suitable for street use."

The question I guess you will need to decide is whether or not the above disclaimer supersedes your bike from the marketing targets further down the page or, is it better to stick with approved blends, at least while in/under warranty?

https://www.oilandenergy.com.au/red-line-synthetic-oil/

Cheers

Hi guys, I've not ventured into this forum often although I am quite curious about your comments and shared experiences with this gen3!

For disclosure purpose I have not ridden a gen3 nor have I read any manuals on her.

I would also like to acknowledge that I enjoyed American's first report he wrote here last year. At the time I thought he was going to be a strength to this new gen3 forum he certainly in my opinion wrote well in, shall we say the article describing his proud ownership and riding experience.

Well we know how that ended, all fine up and until forum opinions unfolded. If there has been recant disrespect showing through my last posts around his postings, it is in fact true I have lost respect reading other postings of his.

May of last year he was involved here in a thread that I found myself at odds with and only after Du-Rron pointed me to it a couples days back. I would say in general terms that maintenance procedures should be respected and followed through with, and in their entirety. Especially with a brand new production bike, and that applies to fluids as well, just my opinion. Remember 50K over long hauls is completely different over short hauls. Time of production may also show different inspection results.

The thing about the valve clearance and it comparison to the HD 113 Puc was quick to point out and likely could have spoken in detail on...

Speaking again in general terms, this type of rocker assembly has been around for a very long time and, is a proven long life performer. What may set it apart will likely be found in the engineering tweaks to it and, choices in composition (s) batching can also play a role and is one more reason why we should follow all the required inspections and note them down.

Anyways there was a comment about using Redline oil. Well we all know how these discussions end up so, I only offer this info for your information As far as I know Redline is not designed for street? I just did a couples of hours of research looking for some independent testing and found little to none. It appears that it is still a race blend which to me suggests frequent intervals. One of us may have more recent info on it, I for one would be interested to read such if shared. The link below brings you to an Aussie distributor, note this comment

"Synthetic Engine Oil for Racing Cars

While racing motor oils provide more wear and tear protection than motor oils for passenger vehicles, these products contain fewer detergents and are not suitable for street use."

The question I guess you will need to decide is whether or not the above disclaimer supersedes your bike from the marketing targets further down the page or, is it better to stick with approved blends, at least while in/under warranty?

https://www.oilandenergy.com.au/red-line-synthetic-oil/

Cheers

It is fairly simple. If the oil meets the OEM specs than it can be used with no warranty worries. If it does not than you could be on your own.

It is fairly simple. If the oil meets the OEM specs than it can be used with no warranty worries. If it does not than you could be on your own.

Very true Bucfan11. I will say that the previous conversations about lifter pressure and the benefits of ethers or ZDDP made a lot of sense. That’s why I personally have opted to go with the YamaLube 15w-50 full synthetic. It’s not cheap like some off shelf brands but it’s definitely not Redline price either.

Like you said Bucfan11, whatever you choose to use just make sure it meets or exceeds the maunfacturers specifications and you’ll be just fine for warranty coverage.