IGNORED

Dad passed

uncledj

We had Dad's Funeral yesterday. It was a bit odd being on a Thursday Morning, but we wanted to get it done before all the heavy snow we are supposed to get this weekend.

It was a beautiful service, especially hard to maintain my composure when they did the Honor Guard Service, with the presenting of the Flag, and the playing of Taps.

Dad was a great man, loved by all and we were lucky to have him.

I was honored to write the eulogy.

Godspeed Dad.:2133:

Eulogy for Leonard Sheehn

Thank you all for coming; especially on such short notice, to acknowledge Dad's passing, and to reflect on his life.

Dad was the son of Charlie and Helen, born and raised in an era that few of us can understand.

I'd loved the story he'd told when, as a child, his father dropped he and a friend off, in the woods, to spend a week camping and ultimately living off the land. He had his trusty BB gun, which he'd use to hunt the birds that they'd cook and eat. We may think of this as unfathomable today, but for him it was a fond memory and a great adventure.

He grew up, living through the Depression, but with his Dad being a mixture of entrepreneur and huckster, they'd fared better than most.

As a young man, he'd remembered the first time he'd seen Mom, (His words) " That pretty red haired girl that was kicking coal off a railroad car"......To later gather and take home.....Remember folks.....This was the Depression, and they were dirt poor.

Anyway, they were later married, and Dad went off to War. He spent three years in Italy, where he saw the Horrors of War, but also had some good experiences, that could only be had in those times and places.

When Dad left for the War in Europe, Mom was expecting their first child......the first of six. Most of you know that I'm the baby of that bunch.

I think I was lucky.......By the time I came along the family was established, and doing well, and I had older brothers and sisters to watch out for me, and Mom and Dad were too wore out to keep on top of my shenanigans.

All's well that ends well, as we seemed to turn out pretty good.

Dad spent the bulk of his professional life as a machinist, culminating with him running the Machine shop for the steel mill. He said he'd enjoyed his work and I think he wanted me to follow in his footsteps, but with the downfall of the steel mills, it wasn't to be.

Dad was an avid hunter and fisherman and was happiest in the woods. He took the time to share his love of the outdoors with his children, and one of his greatest gifts to many of us was to establish a love for the Mountains of Pennsylvania, not to mention the establishment of the Headhunter Camp, that has become an important part of our lives. This simple, wonderfully placed cabin has become his legacy. I'm sure it will remain long after most of us are gone as well.

Mom and Dad provided us with a healthy, happy and safe home. We always had a roof over our head, food in our bellies and clothes on our backs. AND THE CHRISTMAS'S....WOW.....Looking back on the great Christmas's we had....the food....the decoration...and the gifts !!!.........So much that I took for granted as a child.

Dad was one of those guys that could build or fix anything. He built the home that I grew up in. He had a strong work ethic that he'd instilled in his children. He encouraged us to do for ourselves, work hard and do the right thing........Usually......

I remember a friend that Dad had mentored somewhat on the finer points of hunting that laughs when he recalls the time Dad told him....." If ya follow all the rules, you'll never get anything".

You know who you are out there.....

Dad and Mom did all that could be asked of a parent.

Thanks Dad.......Thanks Mom......

It was twenty years ago that we lost Mom; before her time.

I was there with Dad just minutes after Mom had passed; at home, and as hard as that was it was made harder when I saw how it had broken Dad's heart.

That was an incredibly difficult time for us all, but Dad was eventually comforted when he found love again, with Ruth.

Dad and Ruth would remain faithful companions for the rest of his life.

Ruth....Thank you for the love and comfort you've given Dad.

Dad.....You've taught me how to be a good man

You've taken the time to show me things and places that many children never have the opportunity to see.

You've shown me the beauty and wonder of simple things.

You've taught me the importance of family....always looking out for one another.

Your kindness, tolerance, even temper and grace gave me the ability to weather the storms that life sends our way.

Your sense of humor gave me the ability to laugh with the world, and often at myself.

I think the simplest and most heartfelt thing I can offer is to say that I'm PROUD to say that you're my father.

I love you Dad.

I will see you again.

Edited by uncledj