At what milage did you swap to synthetic  

33 members have voted

1. 1. At what milage did you swap to synthetic

• First service (600 miles)
    • 3500-5000 miles
    • 5000-10,000 miles
    • Never had it, never will.

Second oil change I went to AmsOil Formula 4-Stroke® 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic oil (ASE) with an AmsOil EAOM102 Oil Filter. I also went to Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 80W-90 (AGL) in the rear end, and will change the gear oil with every engine oil change.

I would have done it the first oil change, but the dealer gave me a free first oil change useing Yamaha branded oil and filter. It is hard for me to pass up free stuff...

I am looking forward to the protection the EaOM filters are advertised to give.

Absolute Efficiency

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have the best efficiency rating in the industry. EaO Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, while competitive filters containing conventional cellulose medias range from 40 to 80 percent efficiency.

Kitesquid... is your 1950 Harley a Harley 45?... Just wondering.. my father used to ride an old HD 45 model... I love those bikes.

BTW: Thanks for taking the poll... I'm toying with changing over to a synthetic oil as I like to run synthetic in my toys. My dealer is conservative and wanted me to wait until 3500 miles, and then run only a synthetic blend. I ran Rotella-T 5W-40 in my Triumph Sprint and liked it a lot. I want to run it in the RSTD as soon as possible as I think it helps with a smooth shift. I also use K&N air & oil filters. Anyway... I'll most likely make the switch at the next service interval.

Kitesquid... is your 1950 Harley a Harley 45?... Just wondering.. my father used to ride an old HD 45 model... I love those bikes.

No, it a 74 CID motor.

It was marketed as the "Sport Solo" bike, but my bike has the "Buddy Seat" installed.

It is a lot of fun for short rides...but I do need to sell it.

Amsoil 10W-40 MCF Motorcycle Oil at the 600 mile oil change, with Bosch filter. It's on the 3rd oil change now (at 8,500 miles) and no apparent problems. Shifts a lot smoother than with the factory oil.

Anybody ever thought about using Amsoil's 10W-40 "ASO Formula 4 Stroke Scooter Oil" in the RSV? It has nearly identical specs (see the fine print lab test data) and the API ratings exceed Yamaha specs (wet clutch compatible, SG, etc.) as the MCF oil. The specs say it's designed for air and water cooled engines. It's about $3 per quart cheaper than the MCF 10W-40.