IGNORED

Breather Boxes

Guest cwil2988

Guest cwil2988

Anyone know any alternatives to the 2 air filter boxes on an 06 TD, I have a friend who has a venture also, and we have been searching for alternatives other than the 300 dollar chrome ones, I looked at the barons big air kit, and can't see that it would work on this new of a bike.

:225:

I don't know what Baron's BAK consists of. The only real alternative to the stock setup is to get four K&N pods, then rejet the carbs and add an extra shim under the needles to match. I could help you out with a place to start for rejetting if you need that. (I'd bet that finding the parts yourself would be cheaper than the BAK.)

Guest cwil2988

From what I can tell, the older Royal Stars have a different gas tank, and the carburators are more exposed for the pod filters. just looking at mine, I would say the tank sets over the carbs too much to allow this type of filter set up. maybe someone who has access to both models could verify my suspicions.The BAK is listed up to 2001 models I believe.

I hate to even buy the filters and take that chance if it won't work, much less the big air kit:225:

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried two different approaches to this. First I had my bike custom painted. It didnt cost too much because I only painted below the pin stripe on my 06 TD. The bike came stock as white pearl, and I painted below the pin stripe to include the air box covers a dark midnight blue pearl. It does two things in my opinion; first it gives the bike a look that nobody else has, (couples with my Steve Kafka hand laid pinstriping), as well as forces your eye to look past the lower cowling and the air boxes due to the fact that they are a solid dark color. I have removed all of the stock reflectors in the front and chose not to highlight the radiator with chrome. This brought out the front end of the bike when not running the windshield and made it very strong and square looking. I am also polishing all of the front end aluminimum to a high shine.

I say all of that to lead to this. there is a company called, M&M metalizing. They are out of Westminster California and can be found on Google. They have the ability to chrome plastic. I have sent them the entire air box assembly to include the housing and for just over three hundred, both air boxes will be returned to my house in a week nice and chrome.

as soon as I get it all fixed up, I will snap some pics. another idea that i had to dress up the front was to remove the windsheild and mounts for good. remove the stock turn signals and mounting bar, and mount small bullet style ones in the upper winshield bracket holes. just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

Has anyone experienced this problem? My wife's 97 TD was loosing all power due to loss of battery supply. The root cause was an electricla plug located between the front set of cylinders & the radiator. It's protected by an rubber boot. the short was cause by a substancial amount of gunk/oil. The oil was coming from a line and filter coming from the air cleaner box under the tank. This is a California bike, so there is a defference due to emissions control devices. I'm thinking this line should be going to the crankcase, as I;m assuming it's some sort of crankcase breather. Can't find the place to pipe it to. Any Ideas.

If you're getting that much oil in the airbox, it sounds like the crankcase is way too full of oil. High crankcase oil level will cause it to spew up the breather tube and into the airbox and all over everything else. The oil level should be halfway up the sight window at the most. Just over the lower limit is better. Any higher than halfway and you will certainly have such problems. Many dealers will tend to overfill this engine. Simply pull the drain plug and let some out.