Bought an 89 VR this past Easter weekend and fell in love with her on the ride home from Houston... only problem I am having is a persistent ignition noise (increases with RPM) in the headset only in intercom mode. Stereo and CB are clear as a bell... but at highway speeds the intercom sounds like a herd of bumblebees are in my nut cover. I have checked the threads here and haven't found anything addressing ignition noise except from a system-wide perspective.

Cleaned and dielectriced all the connections in the headset system... both driver and passenger... no help.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:15_8_211[1]:

Not sure why it would be in the intercom only. Have you checked that the noise filter is connected? You can go to 1st gen tech forum and download the parts diagrams. Look in Audio part 52. It is located by the tuner and amp in the left fairing. If you do clear it up, post what you found out. :080402gudl_prv:

Neither do I know why it would be intercom only; on mine the noise is slightly less when the intercom is on (except for the mic pickup, of course). I helped my noise by improving ground. The ground on the unit itself was fine, what made a difference was the ground from the voltage regulator to the battery.

Here's a question - does the noise change when load is added to the system? If you apply the brakes or turn on the blinkers, does the noise reduce or change? On my bike it gets less when there is additional load applied.

Jeremy

Oh, one more thing. On my bike, the auto-volume contributes to the noise. If I turn the auto-vol all the way down and crank the master volume up, the noise is less. Changing the relationship between the master volume and the individual headset attenuators also makes a difference.

Jeremy