IGNORED

Can you tell me how to get the rear header out of its little hole....

I removed the exhaust today, but I was unable to pull the rear header out to inspect to see if there might be a hole in it.... How do I get the darned thing out? Here is pictures of my collector however the left side header connection wasn't even in the right place so I am wondering if maybe that is where my exhaust leak may have been but want to make sure...

20171012_173632.jpg20171012_173613.jpg20171012_173626.jpg20171012_173619.jpg

The only thing holding the headers in the collector is a copper sleeve/gasket if they are original to the '83. Later on they started using an asbestos type material, and can't pin point the year?? So.... to get them off beat the crap out of them with a rubber mallet. Twisting the fitting should help a bit. It's basically brute force.. You might also look around and locate that oil leak while you can. I bet that old girl smokes while warming up... :-)

The only thing holding the headers in the collector is a copper sleeve/gasket if they are original to the '83. Later on they started using an asbestos type material, and can't pin point the year?? So.... to get them off beat the crap out of them with a rubber mallet. Twisting the fitting should help a bit. It's basically brute force.. You might also look around and locate that oil leak while you can. I bet that old girl smokes while warming up... :-)

Well the header pipes as far as I can tell are fine, I was trying to get them out but gave up because basically it seems you can only take it out one of two ways... take the rear of the bike off or take the engine out. My exhaust was only snug tight, I would have figured I would had to fight with a few bolts but basically they seemed just snug... maybe why I had exhaust leak. The oil leak has been there since the day I bought her, It appears the Oil pan gasket was bad but not for sure, I did replace the oring in the oil level unit. My pipes are all connected with copper... Hoping the Jardines are there in a couple weeks might get those too.... Did see a set of Markland Foot boards that were made for my venture maybe put everything back like it was and put those on instead of my 88 floor boards for passenger.. Anyways the oil leak was the main reason for taken off the exhaust, I pulled into a gas station on way up to see oldest son and lady had her phone getting ready to call fire department. It smokes but not that bad she acted like it was gonna light up.... I went in got me soda told her sorry to scare her she told me there was motorcycle the week before that did light on fire.... and after seeing what happened in Fayetteville I believed it. I thought she was really yanking my chain I have never seen one just go up in flames.... guess they do get Hot!!!:225:

Well the header pipes as far as I can tell are fine, I was trying to get them out but gave up because basically it seems you can only take it out one of two ways... take the rear of the bike off or take the engine out. My exhaust was only snug tight, I would have figured I would had to fight with a few bolts but basically they seemed just snug... maybe why I had exhaust leak. The oil leak has been there since the day I bought her, It appears the Oil pan gasket was bad but not for sure, I did replace the oring in the oil level unit. My pipes are all connected with copper... Hoping the Jardines are there in a couple weeks might get those too.... Did see a set of Markland Foot boards that were made for my venture maybe put everything back like it was and put those on instead of my 88 floor boards for passenger.. Anyways the oil leak was the main reason for taken off the exhaust, I pulled into a gas station on way up to see oldest son and lady had her phone getting ready to call fire department. It smokes but not that bad she acted like it was gonna light up.... I went in got me soda told her sorry to scare her she told me there was motorcycle the week before that did light on fire.... and after seeing what happened in Fayetteville I believed it. I thought she was really yanking my chain I have never seen one just go up in flames.... guess they

do get Hot!!!:225:

I was going by the picture you posted with them already out.... I guess the question didn't match the description and I picked up on the wrong one....

Great News is you don't have to pull exhaust to fix that leak!! Stick your hand (when bike is cold) around the rear of the rear Jug and you will get a handful of oil. Coming down from Rear Valve Cover gasket!!!

O Crap I failed to mention burnt my hand last week looking for leaks... And didn't find any!! Just found the oil leaking thru a paper with plastic, so I took that out of its prospective place I attached a bolt into threads and sealed it right up and reassembled while I wait on parts.went for ride but starter quit working will not crank the motor and something funny hanging out of oil pan so took that out and jb welded the whole...:smash2::stirthepot:

Edited by snyper316

I was going by the picture you posted with them already out.... I guess the question didn't match the description and I picked up on the wrong one....
No I was trying to get rear header pipe out... The funky shaped pipe that is attached to the collector. This one https://m.ebay.com/itm/1983-Yamaha-XVZ12-Venture-1200-XVZ-Y271-rear-cylinder-exhaust-header-pipes-/290913074210?_mwBanner=1

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk