IGNORED

Starter always activated

Hay Everybody, After checking out the web site I decided to join beings I am new to Yamaha name. I've been on bikes for about 40 yrs now and consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable. Anyways, I picked up an 85 venture royal with an 84 for parts and a sidecar last year at a great price. The bike only has 36k and is in very good condition. The shop I bought it from had it running like new and had gone over everything. Now the bad. I had the bike parked for winter on the battery maintainer when I noticed the maintainer light had gone red. After inspection I found the new battery to be completely drained. I tried to hook up my jump pac but the thing wants to start with everything in the off position. I started to poke around a little but these Venture's have more bells and whistle's than Dr Seuss's whatchamacallit. I didn't want to get too far in over my head. Electrical systems are not my forte. I did disconnect the ignition but still wants to start. Any help or guess's would be great. I'm missing too many nice day's. I'm also looking for a Pingel quick shifter if I can find one used in good condition. Thanks all - B safe

Welcome to the nut house Dennis

The solenoid is to the left rear of the battery. Just follow the big wire from the Positive battery terminal. On that solenoid is one skinny wire, I think it is blue. Disconnect that one skinny wire and see if that make the continuous cranking stop. If it still cranks with that wire removed you need a new solenoid. If disconnecting that wire stops the cranking then you have some other electrical issue, but at least we will know what direction to lead you.

PS

We have rules here.

:worthless:

gaj I had the same thing happen to me, but he states he disconnected the ignition which to me points more to welded main contacts on the starter solenoid. If the main contacts were shorted there would be a direct connection from the battery to the starter motor regardless if the ignition was on or off...

Bob it does sound like welded contacts, that is why I suggested testing the solenoid first. None of the other possible issues should make the bike crank with the key turned off.

But then, what would or could have caused the contacts to weld while the bike was in storage????

WE were talking about mine Jeff and starter works with the switch so I'm thinking button?? Turn switch on it starts cranking. Turn off it quits. I haven't got a chance to look at it yet!!! just would like to know where I found time to work all those years???:think:

• 2 weeks later...

o.k. Guys. Finally got some time to work on bike. Jeff hit it on the head. So with a new solenoid I got it started but I had to bypass the the start button. Wasn't getting anything from there. I got a new battery but the store gave me a dud. Told me it was fully charged only to find out when I got home it was at about 20%. Heading out now for a replacement. I'm just happy to hear it run again. I should be able to get everything squared away today. I shut off the cell phone so if they want me they gotta come find me. Thanks again Jeff for the tip. Keep ya posted Ride safe