IGNORED

driveshaft noise

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Can you hear your driveshaft?

No...not the fictional band that Charlie was in on the show 'Lost'.

:cool10:

I changed the driveshaft gear lube on my 07 Venture last week, and put around 250 miles on this weekend. After about 100 miles or so, I began to notice a slight gear noise...sort of a low hum, that of course varied with the torque load on the wheel. I never had noticed this before, and its NOT the whine from the clutch/transmission.

This noise is not really noticeable until speeds reach about 30-40 mph, radio off, and it was much hotter this weekend than it has been in a while. Temps were near 90 degrees.

SO...I stopped and checked the level, and it was fine. I had replaced the gear lube with Amsoil, and wondered if maybe its not entirely compatible with the remaining YamaLube that may have still been in the housing, possibly thinning it out.

Actually my question is, can anyone else hear the driveshaft on their bike? Its not terribly loud, in fact if the radio is on, I cant hear it at all...just wondering if I'm noticing it now, as opposed to it actually getting noisy...I just dont remember ever hearing it, but I do normally ride with the radio on.

I did change it out AGAIN, put new Amsoil in, and the old Amsoil had darkened to match the previous oil's color. I'll get a chance to ride it later on next week.

So...Driveshaft noise...normal or not?

I doubt there is a problem. I personally use Valvoline Gear oil and yeah you can hear a little noise back there but like you said with the radio on you don't hear it. That's how I get all noise problems to go away. PUMP UP THE VOLUME. lol If I let every weired sound these bikes make bother me I would have it in the shop all the time.

If it gets louder or you feel vibration/grinding then I would start to worry.

Guest tx2sturgis
I doubt there is a problem. I personally use Valvoline Gear oil and yeah you can hear a little noise back there but like you said with the radio on you don't hear it. That's how I get all noise problems to go away. PUMP UP THE VOLUME. lol If I let every weired sound these bikes make bother me I would have it in the shop all the time.

Does that work when the wife hollers at ya? Pump up the VOLUME?!?!?

:rotf:

Well...I just wonder if I hear it now that I'm listening for it...

If it gets louder or you feel vibration/grinding then I would start to worry.
:cool10:

Yep...that would sure make me worry...I just dont want that to happen when I'm 700 miles from home, and 300 miles from a dealer!

I can hear it a bit, but mostly when I slip the clutch and ride the rear brake for very slow speed maneuvers. I change my gear lube every 8000 miles and use synthetic GL-5 lube. The lube doesn't get very dark at that change interval, but it does darken a bit. Since I don't have a radio that is not an issue for me. I hear the noise, but only at slow speed, and it gets a bit louder when I slip the clutch and ride the rear brake. Does that make it normal? I can't say, but it is has never been loud enough to alarm me. Hope this helps.

I'm willing to bet that hum you hear is from your rear tire caused from cupping on the edge of the contact patch. What are you running for tires and how many miles on them? Mine does the same noise and I know my tires are starting to cup because most of my riding consists of extended trips. I experienced the same problem on my 1st Gen VR and a tire change fixed the problem. I've got plenty of tread left so I'm running them at max pressure as per Dunlop and the hum is not so bad. I was only had 38 psi in it when I noticed the noise. I realized that I had a defective tire pressure gage causing my tires to be underinflated by 7-8 lbs.

Brian