IGNORED

What's in your shim bucket?

Just finished a valve clearance check on my '83 Venture and was wondering if anyone has the following shims in their "bucket of shims":

278 would be better than 280

I have several that I will trade. Let me know which ones you need. I will pay postage both ways.

I'm doing a low budget restore of the '83 and would appreciate any help.

I have the following shims available, or will have when job is complete:

PM me if you can help.

Thanks

I will have to look in my bucket to see what I have. I do have a bunch but mostly thicker ones.

On the other hand I do have technology to take one of your 282s and turn it into a 278.

My bike ended up with all custom sizes just because I could.

Another thing to watch for while doing your calculations for sizes of shims needed. make sure that the center of the shim that is in the bike is not worn to a dish shape as that will skew your math. That is one reason that some people do all the measuring and math, then put in new shims and it does not come out right. So when you pull out a shim mic it in the center and at the edge to see if it was worn to something less than what is marked on it. I have seen shims with as much as .005 inch of wear. That is .127mm or just over two shim sizes thinner in the middle.

Here is what I do...call around to some local shops (either dealers or independent), many will allow you to just swap out what you have for the ones you need. Our local independent shop does it at no cost. One nearby dealer charges $2ea to swap, and another (a little farther away) also does it for free.