IGNORED

First bike. Oil leaking near carburetor. Help?

nitsuanotoc

So this is my first bike ive ever owned and need a little help figuring out what my issue is. I have an 87 Venture and the last time I started it up a lot of oil started leaking from the area around the carburetor. It backfired a few times and a lot of smoke was coming from the muffler and a little under the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know its a pretty vague description of the problem, so I'm sorry about that. Just need a little guidance.

So an external oil leak and exhaust smoke? Was it fine before? Has it been sitting for awhile? Oil level uniform? Did it clear up after starting? Im reaching here but more information might help to form a possible diagnosis, unless of course someone wiser than myself already knows what it is:cool:

Welcome to the forum. I live in Rapid City so we are pretty much neighbors.

When I bought the bike it started up fine (after using a battery charger and putting about two quarts of oil in it) and rode to my house fine. The bike has been sitting in a shed for a few years, pretty much only being started 1 or 2 times a year. Once I got it home I went and get a new battery and it started just fine. When I started it, it ran fine for about a minute or two and thats when it started backfiring and smoking. I turned it off and thats when the oil started leaking from it. Like I said, I dont know very much about bikes, this being my first bike and all, so sorry about the lack of info im able to provide.

Welcome to the site.

Did you overfill the motor with the oil?? The bike has a sight glass on the right side of the motor under the brake pedal. The oil level must be between the lines on the outer ring of the glass. The oil level must be checked with the bike up on the centerstand so it is setting level. Or hold the bike upright and use a mirror to check the level. If you put too much oil in the motor it will get sucked up into the air filter and then into the engine. Open the airbox and check for excess oil laying in the bottom under the filter. The airbox is located under the false cover behind the battery.

There is lots of information on this site about overfilling the motor. Just do a search. Also, download the service manual and spend an hour or so and browse thru it. Lots of great reading in there.

http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/firstgenmanual.pdf

Also go to "1st Gen tech library - Read Only" area and browse thru it.

We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Jim

It's fortunate it started and ran at all after sitting that much. The carbs can be finicky, especially if left sitting with ethanol. I agree with Jaycee, 2qts probably overfilled it and it's getting sucked through. It only holds around 3.5qts from empty.

I'll PM you my contact info, your close enough to me that if you get stumped maybe I can help.