IGNORED

86 Trunk to replace 83 trunk?

I am preparing to repaint my 83, and understand that the 86 and later had a larger trunk than the 83-85. A larger trunk would be nice, but not having seen one to compare, is there a significant difference? Does it mount on the same rack? Not that I have seen one for sale recently that was worth buying, but since I am getting ready to paint, now would be the time to make the switch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You will have to swap over the trunk bracket also but it can be done. Matter of fact the '85's had the same style trunk (space wise) but the backrest wasn't adjustable like on the 1300's ('86 and up) and if I'm not mistaken they are still removeable like the '83 and '84 trunk. Marcarl has an '85 and I'm sure will chime in and pass on his .02 worth.

You can do it and to me it's a great improvement as there is a decent amount more space in the 1300 trunk.

Squid is right, the '85 was still removable, whereas the '86 up isn't. You will have to change the trunk mount, but it bolts right up. I'm not positive if the '85 mount is the same as '86 up but I'm pretty sure...

I'm doing yhe same thing primarily for the added space. I have an "85 trunk, and am not interested in the adjustable backrest. I've already modified how my mount physically sets so that the backrest is almost straight upand down, just like my wife likes it. I also made up a set of extenders so that the trunk sets back about 4 inches further.

If you REALLY want to gain storage space, and don't use your saddlebags as removable, then switch over to '86 up. Tons of room!!!

I have had this bike since 94 and only noticed last weekend that there is a small amount of space for the passenger. NOW I know why these trunks get moved back. Theare are some thing that I am just SLOW about i guess.

G.W.!

CCEO erica, will get you for that statement!!!

brother, it was nice knowing ya!:no-no-no::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

lol

just jt

I've already modified how my mount physically sets so that the backrest is almost straight upand down, just like my wife likes it. I also made up a set of extenders so that the trunk sets back about 4 inches further.

Wow, I have never seen one moved back 4 inches. Mine was back 2 inches when I got it and I moved it back to the original location. I then moved it back one inch when I put the arm rest support mount on. One inch works best for us.

RandyA