IGNORED

Tried to post on classifieds but

I do not see a Post New Thread button. I am looking for a top trunk lid for a 1988 Venture Royale. The white whale. I found A couple on Ebay but they are rough. Mine is broken behind the backrest and someone tried to repair it, did not work. The break is hidden by the backrest and the vanity mirror. Any ideas?

Thank you!

I am looking for a top trunk lid for a 1988 Venture Royale. The white whale. I found A couple on Ebay but they are rough. Mine is broken behind the backrest and someone tried to repair it, did not work. The break is hidden by the backrest and the vanity mirror. Any ideas?

Thank you!

ABS is for the most part very easily repairable. The most difficult is when there are pieces missing that are in a visible area. A pic or two of the break would be helpful.

I once bought a trunk off of Ebay that someone made two metal pieces the size of the area behind the backrest and sandwiched the plastic between them, I thought it really made for a permanent repair. That is one area of the trunk that seems prone to breakage...
Along that line. Shaping metal to fit non linear shapes can be difficult without the proper tools. Much easier to use two layers of fiberglass and polyester resin bolted together. It would be perfect for doing something like that.

I just did this repair last summer. I had a local body shop weld all the cracks and then I glued a 1/8" sheet of ABS on the outside. It's stronger than new. The only visible part is some weld lines on the inside on each side of the mirror, not a big deal.

I got my ABS from a local plastics plant that deals with sheet plastic. (The injection-molding plastics plants don't have it in sheets.)

I was going to buy another lid too and then realized I'd just be doing this repair eventually anyways.