IGNORED

My muffler adventure

When I picked up my bike 4 years ago it had stock pipes that the PO has scatched to hell. Started seeking replacements with a bit more grunt to them. Landed a set of RK pipes, made the brackets to hang them and then got the wide clamps. Put them on and realy liked the sound of them. :Laugh: They were a bit more grunty but not too loud. However they kind of got to you on long run's. :shock3: The misses hated them. So started searching again and landed a set of Monster Ovals:mo money: that I beleived would not be as loud. Boy, that was a mistake. :crying: Put them on and took a 2hour ride and took them of again. I felt like the kid in the car with the big woofers pushing bass all over the place. You could literally feel the thumping in your chest. Misses told me that as long as those were on she was not going to be...so off they came. Put RK's back on and kept on searching. :confused24: Then I found a set of RSTD mufflers on eBay in pristine condition for $80. :cool10: They came in today and I installed them tonight. It was like putting the stock pipes back on, no fussing with adapters or modified brackets. They sound like stock with abit deeper tone. Took a 2 hour ride and like them...and the misses is happy again. :Laugh:So now my stock room includes a stock set, RK pipes and MO's.:bang head:

That's interesting that you did not like the RK. (I still have a 2006 RSTD and a 2009 RSV)

I recently took off some loud 8 year old Barons 4-2-4s off my RSTD and went to RK. Got tired of loud, Love them.

I had RK on my 2009 RSV and loved them but a few months ago, when cleaning the bike up (for sale?), I went back to stock RSV. I do sense a certain loss of power.

So, I will look in my barn to see if I have my original 2006 RSTD mufflers. Yep, not wild about the stock set performance after having the RK's on for several years.

Mike G in SC

That's interesting that you did not like the RK. (I still have a 2006 RSTD and a 2009 RSV)

I recently took off some loud 8 year old Barons 4-2-4s off my RSTD and went to RK. Got tired of loud, Love them.

I had RK on my 2009 RSV and loved them but a few months ago, when cleaning the bike up (for sale?), I went back to stock RSV. I do sense a certain loss of power.

So, I will look in my barn to see if I have my original 2006 RSTD mufflers. Yep, not wild about the stock set performance after having the RK's on for several years.

Mike G in SC

So, quoting myself,,,

I took the dusty box of stock RSTD mufflers out of the barn. They look okay but needed clean up, Col Brassy.

As I looked at them, dang, they're RK cans that the PO must have welded the stock cowling to.

Well, that works for me. Now just have to get P-clamps or a set of brackets.

Anyone selling those brackets (RK pipe adapters) anymore? I like those over P-clamps.

So, quoting myself,,,

I took the dusty box of stock RSTD mufflers out of the barn. They look okay but needed clean up, Col Brassy.

As I looked at them, dang, they're RK cans that the PO must have welded the stock cowling to.

Well, that works for me. Now just have to get P-clamps or a set of brackets.

Anyone selling those brackets (RK pipe adapters) anymore? I like those over P-clamps.

If you need a set of clamps to connect the pipes I have a set of these used but in great shape for $25.00 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Star-Venture-Harley-Davidson-Muffler-VTwin-Clamps-II-/251006468295?hash=item3a7126c0c7:m:mdLQ5-qfJdVhbYi_ylOkSyA&vxp=mtr

If you need a set of clamps to connect the pipes I have a set of these used but in great shape for $25.00 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Star-Venture-Harley-Davidson-Muffler-VTwin-Clamps-II-/251006468295?hash=item3a7126c0c7:m:mdLQ5-qfJdVhbYi_ylOkSyA&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the offer Darrin. Actually I was referring to the (sometimes) L-shaped hanging bracket to adapt Road King mufflers to the RSV/RSTD.

With the cowling the PO put on the mufflers, would not need the muffler clamps.

(Got some of those for my RSTD many years ago. I kind a claim fame to showing those chromed clamps to this crowd first long time ago, for what ever that pays. lol)

But I have the 2009RSV for sale (on this forum) And will leave the stock mufflers on it.

Again, thanks. Mike G in SC