IGNORED

Fender Ornament Stock?

Greetings oh knowledgeable ones... I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the Fender ornament on my 99 RSV is a Yamaha ornament. More importantly, does anyone know where I can get a replacement rubber base for it? The one on this ornament is rotting and cracked.

Thanks in advance!

If you want a rubber base what would you think about buying a cheap mouse pad, taking the ornament off, and using it as a pattern to cut a new rubber base out of the mouse pad?

On another forum I read where a guy made a laydown license plate bracket and used a rubber mouse pad as a base between the fender and bracket.

It's just a thought, would be cheap and could be replaced easily.

It might be a challenge trying to get a clean edge just because my aim ain't so good with a razor blade and that ornament is a pretty major focal point (I get a lot of comments on it) but if I can't find anything else (already checked e-bay... no joy) I'll certainly give that a shot (and in line with the forum 'rules' I will take pictures and post the results). Thanks for the suggestion. Even if I don't use it on this particular project I may use that elsewhere. Like to make a new windshield seal for instance. Was working on buffing out the scratches on my windshield to day (which didn't go as well as I had hoped) and noticed that the weather seal was pretty shot there as well. This fine desert sun is beautiful at sunset here in New Mexico but it stays that way by feeding on paint and rubber.

Thanks for the suggestion!

So y'all were correct. It's an old Harley ornament from the '30's I only found 1 web site (well, I found a few, but only 1 in english) that has it (http://www.american-made.com/midusa/pages/frames/frontfenders.htm) for $10!! ironically, they're charging $12 for S&H. I think I'm going to go ahead and order it anyway simply because it really does look bad-a$$. I get a lot of comments on it.

Thanks again all!!