IGNORED

Ignition intermittent 2006 RSTD

In the last week my 2006 RSTD has had intermittent start problems.

Starts fine most of the time, the next time, not start but hear a very faint single click.

May have to hit the start button a few times and then, so far, it will start.

Not like a starter click (on low battery), more like a relay. I don't see this getting better.

Years ago, the dealer did replace the ignition switch when it was having similar issues. But I do not remember a click then.

(But this is not key action or kill switch, it is hit or miss on the starter button.)

Also, the dealer installed passing lamps years ago which may contribute to the issue, assuming it's using same circuitry.

So, I am looking at Carbon One's tech write up on putting in a 30 amp relay. He shows how to install it. (below link)

He also says that some folks install a toggle switch between two of the involved wires.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?75398-By-passing-the-Ignition-switch

So,,, Do I need to put in a relay,,,, or do I need to put in a bypass toggle? Or both?

And, is this the likely fix? (And, no I have not tried cleaning contact points or connections, yet.)

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

Adding a relay for the Ignition. Only referenced the passing lamps because they may also be using the circuit. (don't know if they are).

Dion, the problem is intermittent ignition. I have found a number of VR threads discussing adding the relay to take some load off the ignition.

I can do as they instruct. But I don't know if that will cure the current problem.

I'm wondering if the bypass SWITCH concept will allow me to override the problem if it persists. (Adding a toggle switch between the red and brown/blue wires.)

Or do I just need to clean a connection or contact?

Thanks, Mike G.

Thanks MikeWa,

I talked to Dion this morning. He checked the schematic circuitry and, yes, it could be the starter relay, Which seems to be below the passenger left foot board area.

His other guess was perhaps the contact inside the black start button it's self. I have taken the control box off the handle bar and sprayed contact cleaner.

He suggested pulling that button contact apart to use a file on the contact. I'll see how the spray cleaner does first. I looked inside and don't want to launch spring loaded parts.

Right now, I can not get it to fail. That's good,,, mostly.

Again, thanks, I may go to that relay to know what/where it is. Do you know if its a relay I can get at a parts store or a Yamaha special part?

Mike G.

Mike, it could be that your battery cables are not clean and tight enough. Mine was doing the same thing. Clicking(by that I mean once for every time I hit tbe start button) when I hit the start button and maybe next time it would crank normally. I wasn't noticing any other thing that would relate to the battery. So I got to looking for the click sound when it did it and noticed my battery felt like it was making the noise. I cleaned and tightened the cables and it hasn't done it again. It's been several days and about 600 miles since I tightened it up.