IGNORED

carb problems

I hope someone can help me with my problem, took the 08 RSV for a ride last night and once it warmed up it started to make small popping sounds out the exhaust when at idle with a strong gas smell. I have had the bike out other times this year and it ran just fine. I had just changed the spark plugs and sinked the carbs. It is also pumping gas out of a rubber hose connecting the two left side carbs, I put yellow tape on the hose. When sinking the carbs I was getting a funny reading out of the front left carb. Any ideas???? Tried to post pics but no luck. Gas came out of the over flow hose only once it warmed up. Starts good and has good response, just getting to much gas.

Sounds to me like a hanging up float or float needle valve issue Addy.. Cant help but wonder if the hose you taped up may have been an over flow line? You could try tapping on the bowl of the carb giving problems and see if this frees up a sticky float. If not, you possibly picked up a small piece of crud between the needle and seat..might try opening the drain on that same carb (sounds like its the #1 carb), draining it into a small jar, leave the drain open and activate the fuel pump (never worked on a 2nd Gen but on a 1st Gen you just turn on the key and turn the kill switch on and off to cycle the fuel pump) to try and flush it out.

Guest Jamsie

sounds like a sticking float.

it only takes 1/2 hour to remover the carbs http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?7830-Removing-the-Carbs-from-the-RSV. give them a good clean and inspection, as puc mentioned , there could be something jamming the needle valve open , while you have them stripped , set the float hight . http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?24246-Set-the-Float-Levels-on-QuickSilver

I have had this happen to both of the RSV's I owned. The cause I found on both bikes was the o-ring that seals the seat to the body of the carb were badly deteriorated allowing gas to pass around the seat and overfilling the carb and puking out the vent hoses.

I have had this happen to both of the RSV's I owned. The cause I found on both bikes was the o-ring that seals the seat to the body of the carb were badly deteriorated allowing gas to pass around the seat and overfilling the carb and puking out the vent hoses.

Would like to see, a bit more detail on this, as to just exactly which O-Ring caused this problem.

( I might order a few spare's for the tool box )

Would like to see, a bit more detail on this, as to just exactly which O-Ring caused this problem.

( I might order a few spare's for the tool box )

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it but there is an o-ring around the brass seat that seals the seat into the body of the carburetor. When I tried to buy just the o-rings, Yamaha told me that the o-rings weren't sold separately and I had to buy the brass seat and the o-ring was included. I landed up purchasing the new seats (o-rings were already installed). The orings were completely shot letting fuel pass around the seat.