IGNORED

Safe idle speed below spec of 950-1050?

I was adjusting my warm idle speed and set it at the lower end of spec... 950 rpm. I noticed when I was adjusting up and down that 700-800 rpm sounded a lot better than 950 rpm. I know oil pressure is affected by idle speed.....wanted to know how "low" can I go and still have appropriate oil pressure...

2002 RSV Midnight

I am most likely wrong here, but I think the oil pressure would be the same at idle as it is at 80mph, but if it changes at all at a higher RPM, I would think it is minimal. :confused24:

OK all you mechanics, jump all over me.... :stickpoke:.............:beer:

Appears normal oil pressure is between 44psi to 50psi

OilPressureSpecs.jpg oilmaxpressure.jpg

Edited by Eck

I was adjusting my warm idle speed and set it at the lower end of spec... 950 rpm. I noticed when I was adjusting up and down that 700-800 rpm sounded a lot better than 950 rpm. I know oil pressure is affected by idle speed.....wanted to know how "low" can I go and still have appropriate oil pressure...

2002 RSV Midnight

Oil pressure is much higher at RPM than at idle. At idle you are barely looking at 6psi. Yeah, I know it sounds better, but I would not go below 950rpm.

I'm sure the Engineers at Yamaha had their reasons for specifying that idle speed. Oil pressure is likely only one of them.

If it's running better below 950 then at proper idle speed you have something wrong. Idle fuel mixture and carburetor synchronization come to mind as things to look into.