IGNORED

HF Jack for 83 Venture

So I've read many posts on jacking up these beasts, seems to be many opinions. I'm looking to buy the Harbor Freight model 61632 http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html

My question is: Is it safe (for the bike) to jack up directly on the exhaust, or should I make some wood block modifications to contact frame?

I need to take rear wheel off and grease stuff, and I'd like to have it to assist moving into corner in winter, but not going to use but a few times a year, tops.

Thanks

Indeed, you will probably get all kinds of response to this Spence and most folks are gonna say = that Puc, he is crazy but - I wouldnt hesitate one minute on purchasing that jack, slipping her under my 83 and jacking it up.. I am gonna try to attach a pic here showing exactly that..

Been doing it for years, have never had an issue with crushing pipes, pipes loosening at the head or elsewhere.. On the same token though - I do a little trail riding on my scoots when the need arises and most of the undersides of them are not exactly dent free anyway - few goobs of welds and weeds hanging down and all that..

I have tried many different approaches to what your talking about and have found right on the pipe aronies to be the solidest lift points..

Another point though, I think the square tubing on the lift in the pic is about 2 inches in width.. Depending on on the width of the lift arms on that jack your looking at, gotta be careful with narrow lift arms - I think the potential for crushing pipes would go up if your lifting with 1inch width arms... Maybe cut a couple two by fours to lay on the arms must to spread the weight wider on the pipes...

The lift in pic is a harbor frieght lift, I lifted my 83's many many times on it from the pipes - works great..

attachment.php?attachmentid=101836&d=1399400420

attachment.php?attachmentid=101835&d=1399400420

DSCN3264.JPG

DSCN3263.JPG

Harbor Freight jack worked great. Definitely buy straps to stabilize it.

Looking GREAT there Spence!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

GREAT PICS :178: of a SHARP BIKE!!

Man I LOVE the 83 Standards,, pure soul for the open road and ready to :bikersmilie: put a whoopin on almost any touring bike out there if needed :witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew: