IGNORED

extreme popping and back firing - help

I agree with vgoose. The AIS removal I do as a precursor to all fixes however without a wideband or a sniffer you don't know what you have and you are compensating with the AIS. I have 4 pod filters on my 09 venture and it took a lot of trial and error to get the wideband and dyno tests to optimum but I'm running 137.5 mains. Way more performance and fuel than original. And I still get over 40mpg. No 1600 will ever see anything but my taillights. Exhaust leaks at the header and lean mixtures are commonly the problem. Both you can find with a wideband.

Edited by smlogan
typo

• 1 year later...
So simple. But it took someone with know how to tell me how to fix it. So the backfiring and popping was coming from the AIS circuit. From what I have learned and been told is that puts more air into the exhaust to help burn anything fuel that is left over after combustion. So, we disconnected the front and rear AIS connection and put a cork in each of them and put the tubing back in place. I didn't have any corks so I went across the street to a local Italian Restaurant figuring they would HAVE to have corks. They did and gave me a few. One cord is awfully long so I cut one in half. Put one half in the front circuit and other half in the rear circuit. put the tubes back on and started it up. I just couldn't believe my ears. No popping or backfiring. So I took it for a test ride. Perfect. Just incredible.

well, as long as we are not fixing the problem and only making the requested noise to go away, lets dive into the problem a little further:

The dealer may very well have set the carbs to all the proper settings to try and compensate for the butchered exhaust that was on the machine at the time... do we know? guess not. and now we have an aftermarket set of slip on mufflers that may or may not have exhaust leaks at the poorly designed clamping system that comes with most all aftermarket slip on mufflers.. do we know? guess not? .. then there is the remote chance that this bike has a y pipe/ header pipe leak at a weld on the right bank, as I have found on several occasions while trying to help a fellow member fix, or in other members words cure the concern.

I asked all the questions about the owners concerns about disabling the Ais before making my suggestions before calling him and walking him through the "not fix" procedure .getting shot in the foot for helping a fellow club member is better received if they know all the information involved in the request for help, and they have a better answer than to suggest a dart board of possible repairs that could cost the owner hundreds of dollars to repair a concern that he just wants a quick cure and maybe not a fix for.

my idea did come with a full money back guarantee also.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

:farmer: