IGNORED

Thermostat seal??

My 93 VR recently started weeping coolant from the thermostat housing. Annoying? Yes, but after researching a little bit it seems this particular problem has been experienced by quite a few fellow Venture owners. So, following their savvy advice I went out and purchased a new Stant #13758 thermostat, new plastic t-stat housing, new housing o-ring and a t-stat seal, all from the stealer. After a little persistence I was able remove the old housing and t-stat, thanks to some good advice found on this site. My issue is this: The new t-stat seal does not look anything like the old one and does not fit very well with either the old t-stat or the new Stant t-stat. The part# is correct and perhaps it is meant to couple with the original thermostat. There is a square notch out of the seal that seems out of place. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Will this seal work or should I look for something else that fits better? I have provided a picture. Thanks for any assistance.

057 (Custom).jpg

That seal # fits a 97-2007 V-Max 1200.

The pictured seal 11H-12412-00 is proper for the XVZ12 and XVZ13 and the 1985-1997 VMX12.

The 1998-2007 VMX12 takes the seal 11H-12412-01.

I don't know why or what Yamaha changed on the part, but usually, the difference between **-*****-00 and **-*****-01 parts are incremental and usually do not preclude interchanging the two different parts.

At least one parts site says that the 11H-12412-00 has been replaced with 11H-12412-01. That indicates to me that the two are interchangeable, but Yamaha doesn't say that.