IGNORED

Intermittent flooding issue

Happens when engine is warm and try to start I can smell gas even before turning on the key, it will crank and crank then finally catch and slowly rev then smooth out and run fine but it only happens occasionally some times 3-4 times in a row other time it well do it once then not again for the next 10 or more starts when the problem is not occurring she'll fire right up.

and of course it always seems to happen at the most inopportune times usually in a busy store parking lot when there are lots of people around watching me struggle to get it to start:bang head:

other than this its been running great, got home on Tuesday from around a 1000k ride while ridding through Mesa Verde it started doing this and I was having such a tough time starting it I finally just left it running at a few stops which made me nervous to leave it and go see the sights but got a one that had a fair walk to go see, shut it off was gone for 10- 15 min. got back and it started right up and did so the rest of the day :confused24:

So looking for suggestions for what to check.

Have you tried closing the petcock before or immediately after turning it off? Then, try starting it with it closed, and if it doesn't start, open it and try again. Could be the float in the carb is allowing too much gas in. Does the level in the gas tank matter?

Also, check the enrichment circuit. (choke) It may be stuck open. I think there are adjustment screws on the carbs for this. Make sure the cable is sliding freely also and lubricate it too. This is all I can think of maybe someone else will chime in.

Check the vent for the gas tank. Could be that the engine heat is heating the fuel as it sits. If the vent is blocked the added pressure could push fuel into the carbs. Might not happen if the tank is half empty because it can't build enough pressure to get by the float valves,,,,, long shot I know,,,,,, but having a properly working vent is also nice to know.