IGNORED

Electrical short

My 06 RSV would not start last week. I put a trickle charge on it and fired up fine the next day. I drove it to a VA appt with no issue. It started up again after my appt, but died on my way to work. No power, radio flickered out, no horn, dead. I replaced the battery after it sat for about 30 minutes and it fired right up. Went another 15 miles and it died again. It acted like it was out of gas, but it had plenty. Again the radio flickered and no horn or other power. I checked the connections and all seamed ok. After sitting for approx. 45 minutes it started up again and I made it another 3 miles before it died again.

I am thinking this is an obvious short in the system and I am leaning toward the stator. I pulled the 3 pin connection and did the recommended tests. I did not have continuity when I should have and had it when I shouldn't have. Before I get into the job of pulling the stator out, is there any other suggestions for this issue?

Thanks to all.

Mongo

To me your symptoms sound more like a faulty ignition switch or something along those lines.

A new battery should go for more than 15 miles.

Started after sitting 45 minutes. Died again after 3 miles.

it is time for a voltage check of the battery static and while trying to crank the engine.

Also a parasitic draw test is in order. I would suggest a wiggle test of the wiring but the tank has to be off for that.

Mike