IGNORED

Bub's tips

Guest wrench

Guest wrench

I guess you could call this a "rant", and if it needs to be moved to another category then please do so.

My '04 had just had a set of Bub's mufflers put on it not long before I got it. After my first long ride to the Smokies in May '06 I noticed the chrome on the tips was blistering really bad. I contacted Bub's and they told me to send a copy of the receipt, which I did. Then they told me I'd have to send the tips to them for inspection by their "Q.A" dept. and IF they were defective they would replace them in a couple of weeks. I proceeded to tell them that I felt it was totally unacceptable for me to have to sit out prime riding time while they decided what to do. I finally got them replaced after 6 e-mails and a credit card number to charge if they didn't receive the old ones within 10 days of delivery of the new ones. Well,,, guess what!! It's been 20 months since they were replaced, and now they are blistered again, just as bad as before, after being assured that they were no longer plated but polished billet. I don't expect any assistance at all now, but to me it doesn't look like they are putting out nearly as quality of a product as they claim. Oh well, the e-mail's on the way!!

It's hard to keep chrome on aluminium. Especially on something like the exhaust tips that are continually going through heat and cool cycles. A lot of the chromed aluminium parts on my '03,like the licence bracket and passenger floor board backing plates are deteriorating. I replaced the tips on my Bubs with some HD fishtail tips. I'm sure you could get other style HD to work too. I does require a little re-engineering to make them fit.

Guest wrench

Yeah, I've been considering other tips too, or having these stripped and anodized black like Rinehart does theirs. It just p%^*&'s me off to go through a long and aggravating process like I did to get the first ones replaced and wind up with the same thing this soon again. I also took the saddlebag rails off because they were too rusted/pitted to clean up and save. No other chrome on the bike but the rails have done this. Maybe if I'd just leave it in a nice, cozy, warm, dry garage I wouldn't be having this problem! Nah, gotta ride!!! Kinda sounds like I'm gonna have to put pontoons on it for the next couple of days though.

Guest wrench

Yeah, I could, but I kinda like the anodized look, and the chrome has to be stripped either way. A riding bud that owns a machine shop here in town told me he'd get 'em done for me if I decide to.