IGNORED

(another) starter question

I am (I believe...) replacing the starter on my 83 and have a dumb question. I have read the starter thread and have followed the instructions enough to

1. get the radiator out of the way

2. get the right hand header off (THAT was a fun challenge)

3. get the thermostat housing out of the way

4. remove the 2 bolts holding the starter on

5. remove the solenoid to starter wire

Now the starter is loose but it doesn't seem to want to come out. My question may be a DUH! moment for me but I have not removed the left hand side cover where the starter goes into the engine.

I don't want to force the starter if I need to do something to that left side and I don't want to pussy out and just be afraid to work it till it pops either.

So do I need that side cover off to complete the job?!

Thanks!

It's just the starter shaft going into the roller bushing inside the left cover.....but 30+yrs of being attached it may not want to ease out......you may HAVE to remove the 2 left hand covers...

OR use a couple of decent size pry-drivers to jostle the starter right down at the base where it meets the case...

Confidence is an amazing tool. Got the starter out and hooked it up directly to the battery just to double check - nothing. Not a hum, not a purr, not a squeak, not a wiggle. Dead. Nice to know I was on the right track.

Now, if any of you have one of those nice, new 4 brush starters around, shoot me a note! I am in the market to buy!

Mark

Thanks. I saw that one earlier but was a little hesitant about picking up one with that many miles.

Then I found this new starter (Mitsuba) that says it will fit a vmax from 1985 - 2007

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-YAMAHA-MOTORCYCLE-V-MAX-VMAX-VMX1200-1200-1985-1986-1987-1988-/371153924060?fits=Make%3AYamaha&vxp=mtr&hash=item566a7f6fdc#

The company says it is incompatible so maybe aftermarket starters are not as cross-compatible as the OEMs... or maybe they are wrong? Here are the specs

Starter

• 12 Volt, CW, 9-Spline Shaft

SPECS FOR:Mitsuba PMDD

MFR:MITSUBA

DESIGN:PMDD

VOLTAGE:12

ROTATION:CW

FEATURE 1:100% New

FEATURE 2:9-Spline Shaft

Replaces - MITSUBA SM-229C, YAMAHA 1FK-81800-10-00

OEM(s): Mitsuba

Family: Mitsuba SM13

Voltage: 12

Condition: New

Rotation: CW

Starter Type: PMDD

Number of Teeth: 9

Gear OD: 0.551in / 14mm

Mtg Ear 1 Hole: 6mm Unthreaded

Mtg Ear 2 Hole: 7mm Unthreaded

Warranty: 1 Year

References:

Lester 18750

Mitsuba SM13279, SM2-29C

PIC Picture ID 191-246

Yamaha 1FK81800-10-00

Wilson 71-26-18750

Their wrong it will work and it is a 4 brush starter. I checked and rechecked all these numbers half said they worked the other half said it woudn't. It will work and it is a 4 brush starter, I just went through all this doubting/ cnanging my mind just to find out if it has no screws in the centerfeild like ours do then it a 4 brush. They make an increadable diffrence you'll love it