IGNORED

Up towards Northern Michigan

Barry.B

does anyone know a good place to vacation on the bike for a couple days that has nice riding and hotels and are not expensive up in Northern Michigan . 2 or 3 hours from the Windsor border . Last week of July

Barry

copper harbor is 10 hours away from windsor, so he probably has something closer in mind :doh:

I know it's kind of relative, but in my opinion, from windsor, you can't really get to real 'up north' Michigan in much less than 4 hours, especially if you want to avoid lots of freeway driving.

You could head to Caseville, a popular touristy area, in the tip of the thumb. Some good riding around the thumb along the water.

But almost anywhere in the northern half of lower Michigan will:

A. Feature some good riding opportunities

B. Be in peak tourism season especially on weekends

Knowing the little I do about Northern Mi (biking, snowmobiling, camping, hunting and fishing it a fair amount) I would make the trip to Houghton Lake. Its where I just held the most awesome Greet - Meet and eat Meat known to man (I am a legend in my own mind:Laugh:) and it is beautiful riding up there (we also lived in Cadillac near there - trust me, it is gorgeous!).. Anyway, Houghton Lake is a perfect center point for day riding either the east side or the west (best riding is on the west side lake shore IMHO). It would be about 3 hours from Detroit/Windsor to Houghton Lake.. They also have TONS of mom and pop motels as well as the big name brand outfits AND, if your a tenter = endless state forests to camp on FREE (dont even have to pull Kings X and sleep in cemeterys or nuttin!!:thumbsup2:)

I gotta mention here though, the very best spot to begin the journey into the great motorcycling of Northern Mi begins right out my back door!! Free camp here too OR, if your skeerd of ol Puc, State Park is 2 minutes from me OR, cheap motels are 3 minutes from me OR great big fancy ones with 50 dollar dinners are 15 minutes away (why on earth anyone would rather have a 50 dollar dinner instead of a hot dog with me is unconscionable IMHO:hurts: ).. Tell ya one thing Barry, if you hopped over here, spent the night, rode the shoreline up the west side to the Bridge (this would include rides thru places like Arcadia, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Traverse Bay (just smelling the Cherry Orchards will blow your mind), Petosky, Tunnel Of Trees (OUTSTANDING) and if you ran out of time once ya got to the Mac you can always ride the ick-spressway (I-75 = pretty ride for an ick) straight down to Windsor..:dancefool:You do that and you WILL have one of the most amazing long weekend rides you can even imagine :thumbsup:

Whatever you choose,, RIDE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!! :thumbsup:

Oh, and :photographing:'s,, lots and lots of :photographing:'s

Oh, by the way, Tip and I have done the trip I am talking about = our house, ride the shoreline up to the Bridge and then ick-spressway home in one day many many times - making it a 3 day ride would be a very nice relaxing vacation!!

Edited by cowpuc

Tunnel of trees is an awesome ride... did it last year and would certainly do it again.Nice ride around Traverse Bay although a little pricy to stay in that area.Stopped for chicken dinner in Frankenmuth then took the Marine City ferry back to Canada.

If you take pucs route when headed home try going to Port Huron and cross back to Canada take 40 south to the 401 into Windsor.

Great idea except highway 40 is kinda boring. If you cross at Port Huron/Sarnia - follow the St. Clair river south on the St. Clair Parkway, much prettier drive. Then hook up with Hwy 40 thru Wallaceburg and down thru Chatham. Out of Chatham take Riverview Line towards Tilbury - one of the curviest roads around.