IGNORED

RSV intercom/headset/cb questions

The one thing I haven't fooled with too much is the intercom/cb system, until now. I'm having problems so I'll describe them here and see what advice I can get!

I have two cheapo Chatterbox 5-pin headsets, both were NIB and seem to be functional. Problem is, they don't seem to work on the passenger plug, just the driver plug. I switched the parts around and played with the intercom volume on the control head, and with the passenger volume control, but nothing worked for the headset when plugged into the back.

The other issue is CB related, when I hook up the headsets and press talk on the handlebar, nothing happens. When I push the rear talk button, it clicks and I see "TX" on the display so that button seems to work although the mic/headphones still don't work on the rear plug.

So, what do I do to check/troubleshoot the rear intercom plug and front push-to-talk button?

Check your rear control panel. Make sure the volume is up for them to hear. Beyond that how high are you running the IC volume. It is different from the radio volume Without earbuds I have to run the IC volume about 12, with ear buds about 8. Next would be checking connections and cleaning and applying dielectric grease.

I've had to replace the cable that runs from under the front fairing and gas tank to the back of the bike on two different RSVs due to being pinched and worn near the head stock. In both cases the problem showed up as and issue with the passenger headset. If you swap headset positions and the problem persists then you know it's not the headset.

Well I got the rear intercom working; I removed the trunk and seats to check wire connections and noticed one of the plug-ins under the seat is the same 5-pin as intercom so I pulled it apart and plugged the Chatterbox directly into it and it worked. So that is the feed to the trunk for the rear intercom, obviously. As it turned out all I had to do was scrape/sand the 5 pins in the passenger headset connector (the one by the side of the passenger seat) as they were oxidized so badly that there was no connection.

Sidenote: my wife and I used the intercom for the first time today; about 130 miles. It was real nice being able to talk without shouting and trying to turn my head around backward and saying "What?" "What?" The cheapo chatterbox headsets are good enough for talking but for me, not good for music. We both wear full face helmets so there was no issue with wind noise on the mics. I am glad we did this!

Still have to figure out what to do with the driver cb push-to-talk button not working. Going to look at the parts diagram now....

These type connectors are where we talk about putting dielectric grease in. It is a sealer of sorts to keep out moisture and thus corrosion. I suggest cleanning that connector, and the rest of them and putting some grease in there. Couple of those connectors are under the fairing on right side as sitting on bike.

I will bet you could clean your talk switch up on handle bar and grease it and you would be in bussiness.

These type connectors are where we talk about putting dielectric grease in. It is a sealer of sorts to keep out moisture and thus corrosion. I suggest cleanning that connector, and the rest of them and putting some grease in there. Couple of those connectors are under the fairing on right side as sitting on bike.

I will bet you could clean your talk switch up on handle bar and grease it and you would be in bussiness.

Yeah, that's where I was going to start. Take the two screws out of the switch control module on the handlebar, and see what's inside. The parts breakdown only shows the whole assembly, not what's inside.

I'm holding off on the fairing until I have time to take it apart, check wire connections, install passing lamps, and install new windshield all at one time. (unless the new windshield comes in before MD, then I might just slap it in before the trip to Oberlin. And yup, been putting dielectric on things I fiddle with.)