IGNORED

Missing When Wet

I have a 1983 XVZ1200 and when it rains it starts missing horribly and actually will drop down to one or two cylinders. I barely made it home from work. When it dries out it runs fine ?? Spark plug wires ? I was reading the one post about coil removal and looks to be a nightmare !!! Any suggestions please ???

I have a 1983 XVZ1200 and when it rains it starts missing horribly and actually will drop down to one or two cylinders. I barely made it home from work. When it dries out it runs fine ?? Spark plug wires ? I was reading the one post about coil removal and looks to be a nightmare !!! Any suggestions please ???

Wet TCI. There are several threads on the subject try the search.

It can also be related to the wiring coming out of the igniters. Get a small can of WD40 and if it starts missing, pull the cover off of the clutch slave(the rubber square cover where you bleed slave) and spray down in the hole area very good. Let it set a minute and go riding.

I have had the same problem and my TCI is mounted on the airbox.

Randy

not sure on my 83, but the 86 I stripped for parts had the 41R up behind the headlight.

here's what I do when faced with a weird wet miss/short situ:

I wait for it to start it's miss/short behavior. Then I take a can of "wire dry" and spray a connector or wire (with engine off). I start it up and if the miss is still there, I shut it off and try another connector/wire and work progressively along the harness/circuit until I find it.

It's a little laborious, but it's often the only way to find a weird miss/short when the usual offenders aren't the problem....

On 1st gens, both MKI and MKII's, the TCI is originally located under the battery box. I originally moved mine into the left side near the radio and then moved it on to the airbox.

The igniters are located behind the stator and the wires come out under the clutch slave cylinder.

Randy

I started out toward home from work and didn't get a 1/2 mile and started missing real bad. Seemed hard to believe that it could ingest that much water in such a short time ?? I was wanting to take it on a little trip but afraid to now !! I drove it last year to a concert and it started raining on and drove for for miles in the rain with no problem at all. I guess that is why I am a little confused about this problem from one year to the next. It is always garage kept too :-/

• 2 weeks later...