IGNORED

Side stand warning

While we are talking about side stands, I want to remind everyone that it is time to check the tightness of the side stand bolt. These bolts do tend to get loose over time and if this does happen, it can cause for a very difficult problem. Even though this design can take a surprisingly heavy amount of weight on it when working right, a loose bolt will cause the frame mounts to bend and even break, and the bolt can break.

If you have ever had a side stand failure, and I have, it is not a fun thing to deal with, especially with being about 200 miles from home, like I was. Imagine trying to get off your bike with a passenger on the bike and no side stand and your normal routine is to put the side stand down, slide off the bike and then help your passenger dismount. Not fun.

This is easy to check by either moving it up and down at the tip while on the center stand, or using your foot to move it up and down while holding the bike upright. Your stand should be about as tight as you can have it and it not bind up. You should also make sure it is lubricated. I usually only have about 1/8th inch play at the tip.

Randy

Another excellent reminder Rand - THANK YOU from me personally and I will say thank you for anyone who reads this, checks their stand and is saved from issues like you are talking about.. I have a hunch that you wont mind if I add a small amount of input to your already great thread (just like we were standing around yapping like a couple gear headed buddies)..

The bolt that holds the side stand on on our Gen 1 Ventures (never worked on a Gen 2) is a shoulder bolt that shoulders against the inside side stand ear after the bolt passes thru the frame mount. If you find the stand to have more play in it than your prefer (as Randy is talking) be careful when tightening the bolt in trying to remove the looseness in the stand. The threaded end on the shoulder bolt is fairly small and easily breakable (they are hard, hardness increases brittleness) - when the shoulder hits its spot there aint much forgiveness. I am sure there is torque spec on that bolt. Also, if your bike has a fair amount of miles on it or the side stand has not been lubed regularly, it may end up getting oblonged in its surface area where the bolt ride. This too can result in a sloppy stand. In a pinch I have added .020 of shim (flat washer - on the outside of the sidestand under the head of the shoulder bolt to "squeeze" more life out of my side stand. It worked well and got us home so I could put another stand on the bike.. Not the best fix but it worked for a while. There are LOTS of these scoots in bike yards for parts bikes, I am 100 percent with Randy on this often over looked subject that folks dont think about until - OUCH!!

Problem is, these scoot are HEAVY and, not to sound paranoid but, if a side stand fails broken bones or worse have been known to happen as a result.. Plus that stupid micro switch acting up can drive ya crazy!!

Edited by cowpuc

Great reminder. I used to have a lot of play in my side stand until I replaced the bolt. It requires some drilling, a new bolt and two nuts but it is well worth it. One of the best mods I have done. No more worrying about a broken bolt. Here is a link to the instructions:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?48342-Side-stand-bolt-solution&highlight=kickstand+drill+bolt

And thanks to Dingy for describing his fix.