IGNORED

I have some loose screws..........on the stator!!

I acquired a 1984 Venture Std a few weeks ago and finally got around to starting it. When I tweaked the throttle there was a noticeable "chatter" and when holding my hand on the stator cover I could feel a distinct vibration. The PO had mentioned this but thought it might be a missing washer on the starter clutch. He also said that the stator had been replaced with a Rick's Motors.

After some research on this forum (it always comes thru) I noticed several mentions of the Rick's stator having loose screws after installation due to the new stator being a few mm thinner and the original screws "bottomed out", but appeared to be tight.

After removing the cover I found mine to be loose enough to wiggle with my finger.

My question is whether I should shorten the screws or put a thicker washer under them? Use blue or red Loktite?

Also my online manual has only a partial page 3-52, which I assume gives the torque for these screws.

Anyone have a good page 3-52 they could send me? Or tell me what the torque should be.

Thanks!

I acquired a 1984 Venture Std a few weeks ago and finally got around to starting it. When I tweaked the throttle there was a noticeable "chatter" and when holding my hand on the stator cover I could feel a distinct vibration. The PO had mentioned this but thought it might be a missing washer on the starter clutch. He also said that the stator had been replaced with a Rick's Motors.

After some research on this forum (it always comes thru) I noticed several mentions of the Rick's stator having loose screws after installation due to the new stator being a few mm thinner and the original screws "bottomed out", but appeared to be tight.

After removing the cover I found mine to be loose enough to wiggle with my finger.

My question is whether I should shorten the screws or put a thicker washer under them? Use blue or red Loktite?

Also my online manual has only a partial page 3-52, which I assume gives the torque for these screws.

Anyone have a good page 3-52 they could send me? Or tell me what the torque should be.

Thanks!

There should have been spring lock washers under the screw head. Were there? There should also have been an oil baffle plate. Was there? Adding a flat washer to space the screw head out should work, provided the additional screw head projection does not interfere with anything.

I have a good page 3-52, but it does not address the stator or the torque values for the stator mounting screws. There is no specific torque value for the stator mounting screws. In a Technical Service Bulletin, Yamaha says to use Loctite and tighten the screws with hand impact driver.

Stator mounting screws torque.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

• 4 weeks later...

A follow-up to close the post:

I used a regular washer under the lock washer of each stator screw. After cleaning the screws and applying red locktite, I used the "goodntite" torque method. (Grip pliers and a large phillips screwdriver to apply just a little more pressure than I could muster without them. Problem solved. No more chatter.

Anyone experiencing these symptoms or thinking about installing Rick's Motors stators should review these posts. If that stator vibrates loose you will have a bad day!

Thanks for all the replies.