IGNORED

Gas Tank Pet Cock Question

I am trying this get this 1989 gas tank back in shape.

The screen on the reserve stem of the pet cock pick up is torn and part of it is missing.

My question is, do I need to replace this pet cock with a stock one from ebay, or can I match up one with the same bolt pattern spacing and the same, or close to the same length of pick up on a new cheaper one.

Thank for your replies.

I am trying this get this 1989 gas tank back in shape.

The screen on the reserve stem of the pet cock pick up is torn and part of it is missing.

My question is, do I need to replace this pet cock with a stock one from ebay, or can I match up one with the same bolt pattern spacing and the same, or close to the same length of pick up on a new cheaper one.

Thank for your replies.

I see new aftermarket petcocks for the 1983 Venture on eBay pretty cheap. If you don't mind losing the reserve, you could put one of those on. Many of us run on RES(erve), even when the petcock has the option of RUN, OFF and RES.

All the First Gen petcocks will interchange and bolt on (get a new gasket), although all the First Gen petcocks are not the same in function and construction. First Gen petcocks are 26H-24500, 41R-24500, 1NL-24500 or 3JJ-24500. Take your pick. Just be aware that if you go with the 26H, that you will not have reserve, just ON or OFF. And the fuel exits from the rear of the petcock instead of the left side, as in your bike. Depending on the fuel line condition, you may have to re-pipe from the petcock to the fuel filter.

The 26H-24500 petcock was used on about 90-100 Yamahas.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-26H-24500-00-00.html

OR, You could use your existing damaged petcock without issue and if you are concerned about debris passing through the torn screen on the reserve standpipe, don't use the reserve.

OR, You could use your existing damaged petcock without issue and if you are concerned about debris passing through the torn screen on the reserve standpipe, don't use the reserve.

Thanks, Prairiehammer. You just saved me some cash. Never even considered simply not using the reserve. Brilliant!

no, you can't use a metal screen in a gas tank, you can use a brass one, but not a metal one. I would say, attempt to refrain from using the reserve, that way you can look for an exact replacement while you are happily sucking wind.