IGNORED

Where to buy GEAR,4TH PINION, 3rd WHEEL

Hi,

Any help greatly appreciated. I took the engine of XVZ 1200 yr 1984 to get transmission repaired. Mechanic says following parts are required but not available in Finland where I live.

3. 26H-17231-00

4. 26H-17141-00

Google tells me they are gear 3rd wheel and gear 4th pinion. Is that correct ?

Everything below pistons are a mystery to me. I thought I turned to you experts for pointers where to aquire those gears and if you know compability for replacement.

And of course the question is whether my mechanic has got the part numbers correctly to begin with for xvz1200.

Thanks,

Anssi

Gear, 3rd wheeel is avaialable new from Partzilla.com, boats.net, or cmsnl.com in The Netherlands. 4th pinion is not available, but there are quite a few on ebay's US site for sale. Didn't see any on your side of The Big Water however. You can find them by searching "transmission", "gearset", or "gears" for all years 1983 to 1993.

Someone on the forum may have a transmission that they can provide you the pinion from, though. Good luck.

Thanks.

It seems that I have all the parts except for gear 4th pinion which was also need of change.

Product 26H-17141-00-00 GEAR,4TH PINION is discontinued as far I've been informed.

If anybody has spare around or info where to get it please share.

Anssi

Anssi, if you are considering using used transmission parts, only use those parts from the 1986-1993 Venture. Parts from a 1983-1985 transmission will have the same problems with second gear that you have.

Complete 1986-1993 XVZ1300 transmissions are on eBay, sometimes for very little money. http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-YAMAHA-XVZ1300-VENTURE-XVZ-1300-YM102B-ENGINE-TRANSMISSION-GEAR-SHAFT-ASSY-/351351360728?hash=item51ce2c4cd8&vxp=mtr

I obtained the complete transmission from a 1986 for $30 USD; less money than a single new gear.

Edited by Prairiehammer

thanks for pointing this out.

So do I understand this correctly the transmission in interchangeable through 84 to 93 ? xvz1200 can take xvz1300 transmission ?

And 2nd gear problem corrected from 86.

It seems that I am looking for used transmission from 86 and onwards.

Even with shipping (and customs) It might route to go.

A

So do I understand this correctly the transmission in interchangeable through 84 to 93 ? xvz1200 can take xvz1300 transmission ?

And 2nd gear problem corrected from 86.

It seems that I am looking for used transmission from 86 and onwards.

Even with shipping (and customs) It might route to go.

A

Correct.

The transmission from a XVZ1300, 1986-1993 will interchange with 1983-1985 XVZ1200 without issue.

Here is one from a 1989 that is even more complete, with balance shaft, output gear, shift drum and shift forks for only $52.50!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ1300-XVZ-1300-transmission-trans-tranny-/291375484776?hash=item43d7550f68&vxp=mtr

Here's another good buy from a 1986: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1986-1993-XVZ1300-Transmission-Gearset-w-Trans-Output-Gears-Set-/400792958067?hash=item5d511f3473&vxp=mtr

Edited by Prairiehammer

I do not want to confuse the situation but one might consider using the transmission of a second gen (1999-2013) as I did after it being recommended to me here on this site. I found the second gen transmission to have a wider cut gear assembly and I had no problems with the install as it fit right in the first gen engine cases with no problems. It is an option. I have my original good functional 1985 transmission that one can have if they want just for the price of shipping. I only changed mine as I decided to run a vmax rear end and wanted the wider gears for pulling a trailer.

Edited by Brenner

The 2nd gen trans in a 1st gen with a V-Max final drive is about as good as it gets for a 1st gen. Yes, there is a little more spacing between the gears if you want to stay in that tight power band, but once you experience that 10% lower 1st gear and 5% lower 2nd gear, the spacing does not matter. Also, the 5% higher 5th gear really makes it nicer on the highway and it is just enough to not having that nagging feeling of wanting to shift one more time when running 65 MPH.

Due to the lack of need, these complete transmissions show up on ebay at probably less than you will pay for one new gear. Like Brenner said, it is a good option.

Randy

I want to thank you all for your advice. Desperate search for 4th gear pinion turned out fine and ended up by me buying the whole xvz 89 transmission of ebay.

I jumped at it with a hurry before receiving the news that 2nd gen transmission would fit as well. I guess I was really desperate not able to follow discussion couple of hours before purchase.

Anyways, in 2-3 weeks to come I should a proud owner of 89 transmission of xvz. With shipping and customs (the amount still unclear) I think the whole sum is about same as buying 2 new gears.

While waiting It's time for carbs to get proper cleanup, I'll write another post on that issue.

Maybe later in May I have followup to this thread.

Thanks again,

Anssi

... ended up by me buying the whole xvz 89 transmission of ebay. Anssi

I was watching that 1989 transmission on eBay and when I saw it was sold yesterday, I wondered if it was you who had bought it. You got a very complete assembly for a very cheap price. I wouldn't be surprised though, if the shipping to Finland of such a heavy package will cost as much or more than what you paid for the transmission.

Good luck.:thumbsup: