IGNORED

Number 1 Priority

FROG MAN

It's amazing how changing times can change a household priority. Today it seems our top priority is bandwidth. My dsl connection when it's working right runs at 1.2MB on downloads. For the past 4-6 months I have been complaining to the phone company about slow speed and dropped wireless connections. When I'm having the problem my wireless connection speed drops to less then 100K on all wireless machines. My hardwired machine (mamamo's desktop) drops to about 300K. Every time I'm on the phone with tech support we do the usual. Recycle power to the modem,turn off antivirus software,change channels on the wireless connection,Is there anything else hooked to the phone line (satellite tv,recorder,etc) NO NO NO. You can send me a bag of dsl filters I have about 10 new ones from the last time. I think they need to replace the modem. I got up this morning and the bandwidth was way down about 95K so I done a cold start on the modem (recycle dc power for 30 seconds) and still nothing no improvement. Then 30 minutes late like magic I'm back to 1.2mb connectivity. Never a problem with the telephone side of the operation. Tech support is coming out today lets hope it's broke when they show up and find something. Then again they never showed up the last three times I called them.

Is your wireless secured with a password? It could be that someone outside your house is logging into your wireless & bogging it down as they use it. When they are done. poof! Your speed is back to normal again.

Just a thought.

Joe

You might want to check the wireless card in your computor. Mine was doing the same thing and I replaced the 'El Cheepo' Ebay card with one from a local outlet and the problem disappeared. Found that the antenna on the Ebay card was busted. Every once in a while the wireless router gets constipated, and the cycle off/on works OK to get it going again. My baud rate is usually 7.5MB to 9.2MB download and usually 9+MB upload.

Sounds similar to what I put up with for 6 plus months. There was some static on the phone, but nothing to call on. DSL tech was seperate from phone tech. Finally after running all new cable, new modem, several vists from DSL tech, a tech said he did not like the static on the phone line that was there intermittently. I called in a phone problem report, they found a power supply at their junction box failing. Would overheat and shut down. cool down and come back on.

The problem with the service was that the dsl tech service was seperate from the phone tech and so they looked in totally different places. Once this was replaced, no problems in several years.:080402gudl_prv: