IGNORED

Smaller Ground Wire

On the main ground cable near the negative terminal of the battery, a smaller wire comes off and goes to a connector and then continues into the harness. The schematic shows it grounding somewhere. Can someone tell me where it grounds and how to get to it?

Also, are there any other ground locations I should be checking. Thanks.

There might be one up in the upper neck area. Check motor ground, right lower front on block. The connector you saw that goes into harness could be corroded. If you are having starter issues, the starter to block face could be corroded.

Any connector that has a ground circuit in it, which is a lot of them.

Gary

Thanks but there is a particular ground location I am looking for. The following quote is from another thread:

On my '87, it originates from the neg batt cable as a smaller wire (12 ga?) piggybacked on the main ground, about 4 " from the battery it has a quick disconnect, but continues into the main harness and soon exits the harness to terminate at the coil mounting bracket, right behind the throttle cable cable junction box. On the left side of the frame.

I tried to find it but not sure what to remove to access it. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

I believe the ground point you are seeking is Key#30 on attached diagram.

Earth.jpg

Here is a pic of the "earth" or ground point. Access is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, with the fairing, radio, inner fairing in place.

IMG_1446 (Large).jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer