IGNORED

GW cruise control quit

Eck

A common problem from what I hear is the front brake / cruise switch, located under the right hand front brake lever, is most always the culprit as to why the cruise quits working or the brake lights quit working / flicker.

My cruise quit working yesterday..

So, today I took a Phillips screw driver and removed the one and only screw that holds this switch in place. I slide the rubber protective boot back on the wire harness being careful not to pull any of the (4) wires off the switch as I slid the boot back.

Once the boot was slid back far enough to expose the (4) wires, I quickly drew a picture of the switch, and the (4) terminals and labeled each terminal as to wire color that is connected to it.

Then I slid the wires off the terminals. Now with the switch in my hand, I saw that there is are two tiny holes in the housing. In one hold I could see the contacts.

I filled a small plastic cap with contact cleaner and soaked the switch for about 20 minutes periodically pushing the two tabs on the outside of the housing manually operating the brake light contacts and the cruise contacts. I then took a large straight pin and flattened the tip of the pin on my vise, and then bent it at about a 35 to 45 degree angle.

As I manually opened the contacts inside the switch (looking thru the small hole) I inserted the flattened / bent end of the pin into this hole and carefully scuffed up the contacts. I was able to spin the pin around while still in the switch, and clean the opposite side of the contacts. I dipped the switch and pin into the contact cleaner solution, manually operated the switch and scuffed the contacts..

I then air blew the switch dry and then re-connected the (4) wires to their correct terminal and slid the rubber boot back up over the wires and terminals.

Installed the one and only Phillips screw making sure the brake lever did in fact push in on both switch tabs sticking out the side of the housing. I went for a ride and my cruise now works again..

I rode down to the Honda dealer and ordered a new switch ($14.00) and they said they will call me when it comes in.

I will continue to use my old brake / cruise switch as installed, but if it ever quits again, I will have the correct replacement switch available and ready to install..

This took me about 30 minutes total to remove the switch, soak, scuff and clean it, and then reinstall it. If I ever have to just swap out the switch it should take 5 minutes..

Very easy to do.

You are bad to the bone. :thumbsup2:

Now I have been told many times that I am bad...but not bad to the bone..(ha)..

The real reason I posted was to post step by step what I did to fix my cruise / brake switch for those who own GW's and run into the same problem.

Only passing on some helpful hints / or info in hopes of helping someone out one day.......:happy34: